Dad's old tractor-need assistance

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance
I came across this in another thread from 2011. I am putting it here so I can sort through it later. Not sure I understand it yet but will try to take it piece at a time.

Any translation appreciated. I don't want to sink much money in this thing if it's a going to be a sinkhole. Just need to educate myself on what each of these issues means and how to evaluate.

"I think all the 2030's were built in Dubuque Iowa. The 2030 became the 2440, which was built in Dubuque for 4+ years before it saw a minor re-design, and production moved to Mannheim Germany. 2030 and 2440 had a 219cu in deere 4-cylinder diesel that among other things, was EXTREMELY vulnerable to "wet sleeve pitting" resulting from a combination of issues, not least of which is uncleaned block castings and cavitation. Look CLOSELY at the amount of blow by (tube pointing down just in front of left corner of operator platform) Also look CLOSELY at the engine oil for signs of contamination (coolant leaking into crankcase)

60hp on the pto, but not exactly a torque monster. Gotta keep it up on the pipe, no hard lugging. Lug it down below 1700 rpm and it falls flat on its face in a heavy pull. (I've owned a '79 2440 since it was new, and now also have a 2640)

Rear brakes can be a horid nightmare if anyone ever put the wrong oil in the rear end....Brakes shed linings which end up caught on hydraulic pump pick up screen.

You'll find an oil filler cap behind and under the seat. Remove the cap, shine a flashlight in the opening while someone works the 3-point lift. If you see ANY oil (usually in the form of a blowing mist), pack up your flashlight and run! "

Last edited:
   / Dad's old tractor-need assistance #12  
Rear brakes can be a horid nightmare if anyone ever put the wrong oil in the rear end....Brakes shed linings which end up caught on hydraulic pump pick up screen.

You'll find an oil filler cap behind and under the seat. Remove the cap, shine a flashlight in the opening while someone works the 3-point lift. If you see ANY oil (usually in the form of a blowing mist), pack up your flashlight and run! "

Tom
I think you're depicting JD utility tractor brake pad & rockshaft seals to be more of a problem than they are in REAL LIFE. Yes they have had some failures but do you realize the 1000's & 1000's of utility tractors JD sold? Repairing leaking rockshaft valve seals isn't very difficult at all. A lot of JD utility brake pad problems are caused by moisture in hyd system from failed shifter boots and plugged hyd oil reservoir breathers caused by operator error not machine design. Is it the machines fault if operator installs the wrong hyd oil? This opinion is coming from a former JD dealer service manager of 21 yrs('66-'87).
Jim

Thanks for the info. I am trying to figure out how much I might need to invest in this old horse to get 10 years of good service. I'd have to draw a line somewhere around $5,000. If there is any way to evaluate it before I start spending money, that would be best. So I am gathering all the info I can. Any tips on evaluating or late stage preventative maintenance would be great.

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #14  
Tom
You could perform an engine/hyd oil & coolant scan.
Jim

Jim

That's a great idea. Is there a place that runs fluids for tractors or just hunt up an online place for other vehicles? Tom

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #16  
i thought you said it was old!

:)

If it started that easy. sounds like it's ready to go!

I mow with tractors from the 50's ;)

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #17  
Jim

That's a great idea. Is there a place that runs fluids for tractors or just hunt up an online place for other vehicles? Tom
You can get inexpensive kits from your John Deere dealer to send out samples. I agree with TxJim about the 2030's. The rockshaft seals are easy to repair and the brakes were usually not a problem unless water gets in the system. I would recommend draining the transmission oil and checking the sump screen to see if there is any evidence of brake material on it. The oil will have a milky appearance if moisture is present. The cylinder liner cavitation was only a problem if cooling system maintenance was neglected.

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #18  
Several yrs back I got an engine oil scan kit from local JD dealer for my JD 4255 and the kit & test was very reasonable in price.

Thanks for the tip.

The current plan is to get an engine oil analysis kit for the motor oil, transmission, and hydraulic system. That will give me some idea of its condition before I move it and start changing fluids and filters. $12 each is a deal.

John Deere Oilscan Oil Analysis Kit

I can visually inspect the oil and radiator fluid as well.

Shop manual is on the way.

If I am understanding what I am reading correctly, cavitation is a potential issue. Is there a special additive for the coolant or just use Deere brand recommended and it is already added?

Thanks

Tom

/ Dad's old tractor-need assistance #20  
Looks like it should be ready to go for a few hundred or thousand more hours (assuming that the oil tests come back clean)

Aaron Z