1958 630 Battery Issues

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues #1  

jhansen17

Tractor
John Deere 630
Hello all. First post to the forums.

I recently bought a 1958 JD 630. Owning my own tractor (specifically a two-cylinder Deere) has been a lifelong dream since I learned to drive my grandpa's JD 70. Now starts the learning. =)

It started and ran fine when I drove it home and the first couple times I ran it after that. Then one time I shut it down and when I went to restart it, nothing. The starter wouldn't turn over, the lights wouldn't work, there was just no electricity at all. I took the two batteries out and took them to O'Reilly. They put the batteries on their charger and tested them. They said they both tested good.

I took them back and put them back in the tractor and it started right off and ran well again for a couple times over a week or two. Then last week I went to start it and and the starter turned, but didn't turn the engine over. I tried it again and it could only muster a click. Tried it again and nothing. The switch is not getting left on.

I do not know enough about 12v systems or electric systems in general to troubleshoot this effectively, so I'd appreciate some help. Is there anything that could cause the symptoms I've described other than a bad battery (or two)? I don't mind buying a new battery, I just don't want to do that if whatever is causing this problem will just drain the new battery too.

Let me know if there is other information I need to gather to help diagnose the problem. Thanks.

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues #2  
Check battery ground(positive) cable at tractor for good tight connection

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues
Thanks, Tx Jim.

The first time I encountered the issue I checked the cables and one was a little loose. When I re-installed the batteries after they were charged and checked I cranked them down pretty good. If the ground connection were loose, could that cause the batteries to discharge while the tractor is just sitting? If the batteries are good as O'Reilly's machine claims, I have a hard time understanding how they could go from charged, to dead in a week or two with no more than two or three starts of the tractor in that time.

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues #4  
Sounds like you might have another ground somewhere leaking voltage - also does the generator/alternator charge ok ? The generator should be charging at around 14v if the machine is a 12v.

I believe it's a generator. How do I tell if it charges okay? Is the ammeter any help, or are we talking multimeter or? I'm ignorant, but I can be taught. :)

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues #6  
Might be as simple as needing to polarizing the generator. Whenever you disconnect the generator, regulator, or the batteries, they recommend you go through this process. Not too many people do, and it doesn't cause problems, but in your case I'd give it a try.

On top of the generator is a voltage regulator. The center terminal is GEN and should be connected to one of the studs on the generator. Another terminal should be marked BAT and have a white wire heading to the instrument panel. If your tractor has been worked on over the years the wire might not be white, but will be the only terminal not going back to the generator. With the tractor not running momentarily touch a short jumper wire between the GEN and BAT terminals. You will likely get a small spark.

To check for charging voltage with a multimeter the easiest is to check across the battery terminals. With the motor not running you should get around 12v. When running and charging it should be 14v.

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues #7  
I believe it's a generator. How do I tell if it charges okay? Is the ammeter any help, or are we talking multimeter or? I'm ignorant, but I can be taught. :)

You can check generator output by placing volt meter on battery post with engine running. Volt meter reading should be 13.5+ volts. You can test for a voltage drain by placing test light or volt meter in place of ground cable. If light burns or VM registers voltage with switch in off position there is a drain. My guess would volt.regulator.

Wanted to post a quick update. I got the batteries charged up and the generator polarized. After doing that I did not detect any voltage with the ground cable disconnected and the meter on the positive (ground) post and the disconnected cable and the switch off. Does it sound like I'm doing that test right? I think I did.

Also, the voltage numbers seem consistent with a working generator (13.5+ with engine running above idle). I guess time will tell for sure, but it seems like perhaps polarizing the generator did the trick. Thanks all.

/ 1958 630 Battery Issues #9  
Sounds as if you're good to go.

Well it's been a few years, but I'm back with more questions about my 630's charging system. I have since replaced the two 6-volt batteries that came with the tractor when I bought it with a single 12-volt battery. After replacing the battery I polarized the generator by flashing the Gen terminal to the Bat terminal on the voltage regulator. After this I still was not getting any charging on my battery. I removed the voltage regulator and tried to clean up the contacts inside with sand paper. I re-installed the voltage regulator, and polarized it. Still no charge.

What's the best way to determine whether my problem is with the voltage regulator or the generator itself? After my attempt to fix the voltage regulator failed, I tried to test the generator's output with the multi-meter. I put one lead on the A post and the other on the tractor's frame. It was reading between 7-9 volts if I remember right.