1530 to much play in steering

/ 1530 to much play in steering #1  

wrangler95

Tractor
john deere 755 and 1530
I just purchased a 1530 and there seems to be a lot of play in steering shaft. The steering wheel screws up and down an inch or two before the wheels start to turn. Is there an adjustment for this or is it just wear in the steering box?

/ 1530 to much play in steering #2  
Remove rear inspection plug in clutch housing and check tightness of the bolt(parts key 12). Also check bellcrank(parts key 1) for loose brgs under center of frt axle & drag-link(parts key 10) tie rod ends.

Attachments

• RXP8590________UN01JAN94.gif
    RXP8590________UN01JAN94.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 945
  • RWP4498________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP4498________UN01JAN94.gif
    22 KB · Views: 949
   / 1530 to much play in steering
The steering box #3 was just replaced on the tractor to fix another problem. (Used part). The play seems to to been in box #3. The steering wheel actually screws up and down before part # 14 moves

/ 1530 to much play in steering #5  
I just purchased a 1530 and there seems to be a lot of play in steering shaft. The steering wheel screws up and down an inch or two before the wheels start to turn. Is there an adjustment for this or is it just wear in the steering box?

I am not sure what is normal. I have a 2030 and I think mine has even more play than yours, but it's 40 years old and it was 20 years old when I got it. At the slow speeds I use mine I do not notice it (most likely used to it) Only when I "road" mine, 8th gear 2500rpm it's a problem. It wants to wander a lot. Also if I hit a hole or bump it will sometimes go into a bad wobble, the front wheels moving back and forth real fast at maybe a 5-10 degree angle. I think the wobble is the bellcrank bearings (#3 in drawing two posted by TxJim). The play I suspect is the column needs to be rebuilt (in my case), but not until it fails.

I will check how much play mine has next time I use it.

I am not sure what is normal. I have a 2030 and I think mine has even more play than yours, but it's 40 years old and it was 20 years old when I got it. At the slow speeds I use mine I do not notice it (most likely used to it) Only when I "road" mine, 8th gear 2500rpm it's a problem. It wants to wander a lot. Also if I hit a hole or bump it will sometimes go into a bad wobble, the front wheels moving back and forth real fast at maybe a 5-10 degree angle. I think the wobble is the bellcrank bearings (#3 in drawing two posted by TxJim). The play I suspect is the column needs to be rebuilt (in my case), but not until it fails.

I will check how much play mine has next time I use it.

Thanks it does sound like similar problem

yes slack is still there with engine running

Last edited:
   / 1530 to much play in steering #8  
My 2030 has about two inches of steering wheel play. I only really notice on the road at speed. My guess is the steering column/valve is worn, maybe leaking internally?

Is it it possible to rebuild the steering valve. The one that was taken off the tractor would turn left OK but had no power steering when turning right. When sitting still

/ 1530 to much play in steering #10  
Is it it possible to rebuild the steering valve. The one that was taken off the tractor would turn left OK but had no power steering when turning right. When sitting still

Yes although shimming the inside control valve is tricky the complete assembly can be rebuilt. Your valve assembly probably had something worn in parts key 23.

Attachments

• RXP8388________UN18AUG95.gif
    RXP8388________UN18AUG95.gif
    23.1 KB · Views: 514