Low Oil Pressure

/ Low Oil Pressure #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
I have a 1965 3020 gas with FEL.

I first noticed the oil pressure gauge running low when I was fertilizing about 5 operating hours ago. I had a known hydraulic leak and was checking level every time I filled the hopper. I fixed the leak right after I was done fertilizing. Now when I start the tractor cold the pressure is up around 100. Sometimes I have no pressure for 10 seconds right after starting then it shoots right up. After running for 10 or so minutes the pressure will slowly start dropping to a low of 20 where I shut it down.

I can't find any info in my manual about the gauge other than one diagram where it is labeled as "transmission oil pressure"

I don't think it has anything to do with the hydraulic leak that I mentioned. I have a feeling it has to do with temperature as it never happened over the winter and you sure can feel how hot the tractor gets. I'd like to attack both engine and hydraulic cooling systems.

I would like to verify everything is running in the right temp zones and check the pressure manually.

How would I go about this?
What tools do I need?
And what could I replace as just safe measure? Like engine thermostat.

/ Low Oil Pressure #2  
Does your tractor have a powershift trans? Have you cleaned hyd oil cooler in frt of radiator? How long since hyd filters were changed & sump screen checked/cleaned??

/ Low Oil Pressure
Synchro range transmission.
Hydraulic filter done about 16 hours ago.
Sump screen not checked.
Oil cooler not checked.

Will check those two out next week and let you know.

What is good to clean oil cooler with?
I run cheap hydraulic fluid, if I drain oil to clean sump screen should I replace with Deere oil or a better brand?
Will John Deere industrial have the right hydraulic oil for me?

Thanks

/ Low Oil Pressure #4  
Is gauge for engine or trans oil? Spray AC condenser cleaner. Ind & ag hyd oil is the same

/ Low Oil Pressure
My manual has the gauge labeled as transmission oil pressure. I will confirm where the sensor goes.

Have any suggestions for testing temps before I tear down?

Thanks again Jim!

/ Low Oil Pressure #6  
I sure don't remember Syncro-range trans tractors have hyd oil temp gauge PS trans yes,SR trans no.

/ Low Oil Pressure #7  
Jim, you are correct. 3020 SynchroRange never had trans temp or pressure gauges. Apparently someone has added pressure gauge to this particular one. I am interested to see where the sending unit is connected. The only controlled pressure in transmission circuit is the cooler relief system. With cold oil, that can be as high as 120 psi I believe. With hot oil at low idle speed, it could drop under 10 psi and be normal. The original Powershift gauge had no numbers on it. It measured lube circuit oil and just had a line about 3/4 the way up the range and was marked as "minimum pressure at 2200 rpm"

/ Low Oil Pressure #8  
Draagyn,

Are you by any chance living in Woodpecker BC - just down the road from Hixon ?
Would be a big help if you knew where the oil pressure reading is coming from. If it is the transmission oil pressure, what are the recommended pressures for operation? It is in the 90's currently around this area, so any oil gauge is likely to read a little low over winter pressures.
I think the oil coolers might need checking out.

/ Low Oil Pressure
Jim, you are correct. 3020 SynchroRange never had trans temp or pressure gauges. Apparently someone has added pressure gauge to this particular one. I am interested to see where the sending unit is connected. The only controlled pressure in transmission circuit is the cooler relief system. With cold oil, that can be as high as 120 psi I believe. With hot oil at low idle speed, it could drop under 10 psi and be normal. The original Powershift gauge had no numbers on it. It measured lube circuit oil and just had a line about 3/4 the way up the range and was marked as "minimum pressure at 2200 rpm"

It has appeared you are both right. It is plumbed into the very back right corner of engine block. Looks like I'm doing oil change and checking cooling system.

Think I'll do oil, filter, thermostat, maybe a new rad cap. Anything else? Thanks for the help guys! image.jpg

/ Low Oil Pressure
Draagyn,

Are you by any chance living in Woodpecker BC - just down the road from Hixon ?
Would be a big help if you knew where the oil pressure reading is coming from. If it is the transmission oil pressure, what are the recommended pressures for operation? It is in the 90's currently around this area, so any oil gauge is likely to read a little low over winter pressures.
I think the oil coolers might need checking out.

Yes I'm just down the road from Hixon bc! You may be the first bc'er I've seen here so far! Where ya from?