JD 630 Hydraulic Quick Connects/Breakaway Couplers

/ JD 630 Hydraulic Quick Connects/Breakaway Couplers #1  

jhansen17

Tractor
John Deere 630
All,
The electrical issue you helped me resolve has not returned, so the 630 is starting and running well. Thanks again for your input on that problem.

Next on my list is to get the hydraulic system up and running well again. To my knowledge it was working when I bought the tractor, but there was significant leaking from the breakaway couplers. Rather than continue to add oil to the system all the time I thought I would start by replacing the couplers to see if that would end the worst of the leaks. So I bought the replacement parts and set about swapping them out.

Here is where I ran smack into a wall: I have had no luck in removing the existing couplers from the ends of the hoses. I have applied quite a bit of penetrating oil (homemade concoction of 50% acetone 50% transmission fluid recommended by another tractor enthusiast) over a few weeks' time and still I cannot budge them. Granted I'm going at this with a couple of pretty small adjustable wrenches.

How would you guys go about getting these things loose? I thought about trying to heat them up, but all I have for a source is a cheap propane plumber's torch and I don't have much experience with how to properly do the heat things up to loosen them thing. I tried the next set of fittings up stream of the couplers. No dice there either, and those are on the ends of lines I'm scared I might bend. Ideas for what I should try next? Get a couple cheater bars for my wrenches?

/ JD 630 Hydraulic Quick Connects/Breakaway Couplers #2  
I'd do everything possible to unhook at the couplers themselves before trying to remove at the lines. As you mention, the steel likes could be brittle with age, and you don't want to take a chance on damaging them.

I'm guessing you have removed the couplers from the bracket mounting them to the rear end housing? If not do this step first so you end up with just the couplers connected to the rubber lines hanging lose. Then if they are rusty give the threaded area a good cleaning with a handheld wire brush. You want any residue gone so the mixture can do a better job of getting into the threads.

At this point a spray of penetrating oil and some good fitting wrenches, and everything should come apart. Can't stress enough using the proper wrench. Heat, cheater bars, etc all come later. Even if you have to purchase one, find a wrench that fits both the fitting and the connector on the hose snuggly and without slipping. Get the best "bite" you can, and give it a try

If you feel it isn't going to budge, cut the top out of a gallon plastic milk jug leaving the handle. Drop the coupling ends in the jug and tie it into the tractor. Pour in whatever magic elixir you choose so it covers the threads and let it soak. Give it as much time as you feel comfortable and then try to remove the couplings again. Make sure you clean the surfaces where your wrenches go well, as you don't want them to slip from the oily residue.

With any luck (and maybe a helper, with a person on each wrench) and it should come off. Move up to a cheater pipe on the wrenches or.an acetylene torch (heat just on the coupling, only where it threads into the hose) as a last resort.

/ JD 630 Hydraulic Quick Connects/Breakaway Couplers #3  
All I have for heat is the cheap plumbers torch and I've ha great luck with it. Heat expands metal, so heat what the bolt is stuck in, trying to keep the bolt itself cool in the process.

If it's leaking when not in use would it not be a valve issue too?