John Deere 4020 issues

/ John Deere 4020 issues #1  

knifeman32

Tractor
Ford 641 Workmaster
Hi guys,

My neighbor has a 1969 (I think) John Deere 4020. He only really uses the tractor a few times a year to bush hog 30 acres. He was bush hogging and literally made one pass and the tractor just cut off on him altogether. I saw him in the field broke down and I went down to see if I could help. After trying for 2 or 3 minutes, I got it to crank again. I drove it up the hill to his shop to get a better look at it. Just as I got up the hill on his property, it cut off again. I know absolutely nothing about electrical components or anything like that but I would like to help him out if I can. Needless to say, the tractor is still parked where it died. For a newbie like myself, what should I be looking for? It's not choking or chugging along, it literally just cuts off. That's why I'm leaning toward something electrical. Any help is appreciated.

/ John Deere 4020 issues #2  
If it's a '69 then the inj pump should have an elect fuel shut-off valve. Where are hyd control levers located(dash or beside seat)? Check it for 12 volts at shutoff with ign switch on. How long since fuel filter was changed? Does it have the small(CBC) or large(JDB) inj pump? Possibility that return line or return line fitting at pump is plugged.

Attachments

• R21103_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R21103_________UN01JAN94.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 147
  • R16052_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R16052_________UN01JAN94.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 143