John Deere M over heating

/ John Deere M over heating #1  

Rockford

I put in new spark plugs wires and a new cap. Drain the anti freez and put new in 50/50 now when it is running the temp gauge runs about 200 and over. The water in the top hose is hot and the botton hose is cold. What did i do wrong, and what should the running temp should be? Before i did this it stayed cool HELP Thanks

/ John Deere M over heating #2  
Maybe gotta get the bubble out that is keeping the coolant from circulating.
Maybe blockage, but don't know what that would be.

/ John Deere M over heating #3  
The M uses a thermo siphon system, thermo systems don't like heavy anti-freeze mixes. Did you put the previous mix into the system and was it 50/50 if not it could be as simple as the mix being just a bit to heavy. If nothing else drain it back out and put in water, run it and see if it still gets hot, if not then its the anti-freeze mix. Are you sure the gage is accurate?

/ John Deere M over heating #4  
I would suspect the thermostat.

/ John Deere M over heating #5  
Does the M have a thermostat?

/ John Deere M over heating #6  
I have just finished rebuilding a J.D. "M" engine and the amount of rust sand and crud in engine surprised me also took top off radiator and washed out the cores. agree it is a thermo siphon so no thermostat. and when the heat bulb was removed so must crud in block could not have given accurate temperature

Is the temp of 200 to high? seems it needs the heat to circulate the cold back into the block.

ken

/ John Deere M over heating #8  
I have just finished rebuilding a J.D. "M" engine and the amount of rust sand and crud in engine surprised me also took top off radiator and washed out the cores. agree it is a thermo siphon so no thermostat. and when the heat bulb was removed so must crud in block could not have given accurate temperature

Is the temp of 200 to high? seems it needs the heat to circulate the cold back into the block.

ken

I would not call 200 deg F too hot. So long as it doesn't boil, it's not overheating.