John Deere 3020

/ John Deere 3020 #1  

Snoopdog

Tractor
John Deere 3020
Howdy from Calgary, Alberta Canada. I own a 1964 John Deere 3020 tractor and am looking for information on the Zenith carburetors as my tractor's spark plugs need to be changed after every time I use it, which is never more than an hour at a time. This problem as existed for several years and seems to be getting progressively worse. Any suggestions?? Thanks and I look forward to all the information I can get. :thumbsup:

/ John Deere 3020 #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

We moved your thread to the John Deere Vintage Tractors forum. :)

/ John Deere 3020 #3  
:welcome: to TBN. Does your 3020 still have points or electronic ignition?

/ John Deere 3020 #4  
Are you sure you have a carburetor problem? What spark plugs are you using? I have zero luck with Champion plugs anymore on anything besides lawn mowers. I prefer the Autolite 3116 for 3020 and 4020 gas tractors. Also be sure to use solid core ignition wires. If you still have ignition points and condensor, use Napa brand for those. The zenith carburetors were a good carburetor, but if float or needle valve are bad, they can make it burn rich and foul plugs.

/ John Deere 3020
Im using NGK AB6 plugs and was told it was the hottest plug I could get. As well ignition wires are solid core. Im looking to replace the carb but would like to know where the id number is located on the carburetor. It is a Zenith carb with upper body and throttle and lower body float and choke. I want to make sure I order the proper one as it seems that I need to order from US as I can't locate any here in Canada. I use the tractor on the farm so need to change it out quickly. Rebuilding it looks like it would be quite complicated and time consuming.

/ John Deere 3020 #7  
Zenith model number should be OE-2219A. Original JD numbers were AR28635 OR AR34241 which are no longer provided through Deere.

/ John Deere 3020 #8  
You mention that you have to change the plugs often, what condition are they in that makes a change necessary? Not sure I'd jump straight to the carb as a culprit. Have you checked the timing? Are the valves adjusted correctly?

Is the motor getting up to temperature? If you only run it for short periods and have a faulty thermostat, the motor may never get up to operating temperature.

Might be worth checking these other items before replacing the carb.