JD Model 70 resurrection

/ JD Model 70 resurrection #1  

OldSchoolGirl

Tractor
Farmall H, Farmall M, JD Model 70, JD Skidsteer, other JD's
Greetings!

New members here, Thelma and Louise. We have a 1953 JD Model 70 that had been parked for quite a few years. We got it started yesterday, removed the old loader, and per our intro in the New Members post, we got it hooked it up to the mower, which was the object of the exercise.

LOTS of drips and leaks, but everything is working at the moment. Need a dust cover for the clutch as you can see.

Now the first problem we need to address: we got it started, but it's not safe or right. The starter was replaced sometime...hard to say when, because my BIL passed away some time ago and he would have been the one who did it. We don't have a manual, (will order one shortly), so I don't really know what the parts are all called, but perhaps if I describe the problem, someone can chime in with what we need to do.

When you stomp on the stomp peg (?) nothing happens. Nada. Only by lying under the tractor (that's the not-safe part) and manually pushing on the starter switch with a screwdriver will it turn over - the part that is supposed to compress that switch when you step on the starter peg is too short to close the gap. Why? Is the replacement switch too short, or did something happen to the part that is connected to the stomp peg to shorten/bend it to it's current ineffective length? How can we fix that?

Pictured is the switch area, with the gap. Also a few pics of the tractor before and after the loader.

Thanks for any ideas,

T&L

View attachment 391965View attachment 391966View attachment 391967View attachment 391968View attachment 391969

/ JD Model 70 resurrection #2  
:welcome: to TBN
Your pics don't show up... yet.
You can go to jdparts.com and put in the model 70 and get all the schematics for parts. The linkage to the starter and the start pedal (I like that name "stomp peg" :) ) will show up as follows. And maybe the cover over the flywheel will come off easily (a few cap screws IIRC) and hopefully just the nut on the end of the lift rod has come off. Should be able to see what is wrong with that cover off.

Attachments

• 70_starter.jpg
    70_starter.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 167
   / JD Model 70 resurrection #3  
I suggest check for wear on shift lever(parts key 41) or wear on lug(parts key 12) or wear on lug(stud) inside starting switch

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 163
   / JD Model 70 resurrection
pictures, take two

Thanks for the link/diagrams. I'm trying the pictures again.

T&L

IMG_2442.jpgIMG_2482.jpgIMG_2485.jpgIMG_2466.JPGIMG_2439.jpg

/ JD Model 70 resurrection #5  
Re: pictures, take two

Get it fixed? Tractor looks in pretty good shape, and hope it does you well. Looks like a big ranch and lots of hard work.

I suggest check for wear on shift lever(parts key 41) or wear on lug(parts key 12) or wear on lug(stud) inside starting switch

So if I'm reading the diagram correctly, part 41 is the part I have pictured in the close-up, yes? And that can either have shifted in position due to wear on part itself, or or 12 that holds 41 in place? The starter switch itself is new, I think, and that seems to be what my BIL started with when working on the problem. But for the price of that switch, maybe I should just get a new one of those as well?

T&L

:welcome: to TBN
Your pics don't show up... yet.
You can go to jdparts.com and put in the model 70 and get all the schematics for parts. The linkage to the starter and the start pedal (I like that name "stomp peg" :) ) will show up as follows. And maybe the cover over the flywheel will come off easily (a few cap screws IIRC) and hopefully just the nut on the end of the lift rod has come off. Should be able to see what is wrong with that cover off.

Yep, I was thinking I needed to take that flywheel cover off, so maybe this week. And I read that "stomp peg" description somewhere on the net - glad to know it's a "pedal" - I hate using the wrong nomenclature, so I appreciate knowing the correct term! :)

Get it fixed? Tractor looks in pretty good shape, and hope it does you well. Looks like a big ranch and lots of hard work.

Not fixed yet, still figuring out the diagrams and had to work livestock. You are correct, it is a very big place!

Lead additive? Is it necessary? That was suggested to me. If so, it's not really lead anymore, is it?

T&L

/ JD Model 70 resurrection #9  

I think, if you are talking about lead additive to the fuel for the 70, that there are different schools of thought.
The original valves in the 70 likely needed the lead to keep from burning the edges, but some think there would be enough carbon deposit that the unleaded fuel wouldn't bother.
Can't help with a suggestion to add lead or not. Others more knowledgeable may chime in on that subject (as well, might be worth it to search on TBN for info that can help you out).

Here in the heartland, visiting one of Louise's kids at college. I'm about to take Thelma to "the mother-ship" in Davenport and look at green stuff at the JD Pavillion. Passed through Waterloo, where the 70 was made originally...not sure why I think that is cool, but I do. :) We'll be here a few days... I see Davenport Tractor on the net...might have to stop in there and see if we can scrounge up a manual. Any other ideas of where we should go?

T&L