1948 John Deere B Belt Pulley assembly question

/ 1948 John Deere B Belt Pulley assembly question #1  

kenknox

Tractor
1944 John Deere D, 1948 John Deere B, 1967 John Deere 110, 1946 Farmall H, 1935 Farmall F-20
I just replaced all the bearings in my 48 JD b transmission. When I removed the belt pulley and clutch assembly it came off very easy. I replaced the pulley,inner facing and driving disc on the shaft. I aligned the timing marks. The pulley pushed on by hand leaving approximately 3/4 inch to go before it was flush with the shaft. The service manual says to draw the cap screw up as tight as possible. I was assuming this would pull it up flush with the shaft but it didnt. Its around 1/2 inch from flush. The manual dosnt specify if it is suppose to be flush or not. Before I continue with assembly I need to know what is correct (Flush or not). Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Ken

/ 1948 John Deere B Belt Pulley assembly question #2  
Driving disk & end of crankshaft are tapered splines. If driving disk does pull up even with end of CS you'll end up having problems. Everything should be fine the way you described it.

/ 1948 John Deere B Belt Pulley assembly question
Driving disk & end of crankshaft are tapered splines. If driving disk does pull up even with end of CS you'll end up having problems. Everything should be fine the way you described it.

That is good to know. Now I can continue with the assembly.

Thanks

Ken

Got everything assembled without any problems. The clutch seems to work as it should. The manual dosnt mention where to add the transmission oil so I removed the cap on the first reduction gear cover and dumped it in there. Is this correct? I,m finding that the operators manual dosnt address this or where to fill the engine oil.

Ken

/ 1948 John Deere B Belt Pulley assembly question #5  
Sorry but that's where you add engine oil outlined in red. Trans oil fill is on rear cover outlined in blue

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 775
Sorry but that's where you add engine oil outlined in red. Trans oil fill is on rear cover outlined in blue

Thanks for the information. Normally I dont make mistakes like this. I better get it drained and start over.