Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what?

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what? #1  

1940ModelHJD

Tractor
1940 Model H John Deere
Hello forum,

I am hoping you can help me out! My father passed away this last summer and I have inherited his restored 1940 Model H John Deere tractor. It has been stored indoors, under a cover since its restoration 4 years ago. It still fires up like a charm, no leaks and I have full receipts/info on the restoration.

I have had a few people interested in purchasing it, but I have no idea what to even put as an asking price. I've seen so many prices on the internet from as low as a few thousand to $18,000.

Does anyone know if there are appraisers in the Whatcom County (Washington State) area? Or how does one go about setting a price on this?

I am a young(er) woman with no knowledge of tractors or where to even begin with this.

Any help is appreciated!

tractor.JPG
tractor1.JPG

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what? #2  
:welcome: to TBN

She's a beauty for sure.
For value, I'd suggest getting in touch with the John Deere 2-cylinder club either by their website or contacting a club member for an appraiser. Just be careful of the "friends" you may attract interested in getting a good deal. ;)

Here is a link.
John Deere Tractor Enthusiasts

Others may have better suggestions to pursue a value. Have the serial number (leave off the last two or three digits for security) for any searching.

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what? #3  
A visit to the local JD dealer might be productive as well. Or if your Dad had close friends that shared his hobby, they might be able to help.

Once you've got a ballpark idea set a price you are content with and when it is reached, let go. Don't look back and don't pay any attention to all those that will come along after it's gone and indicate they would have given more. When your price is reached, let go.

Edit: Sorry for your loss. :(

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what? #4  
IMO, that is a $5000-$6000 piece.

Take more pictures, perhaps a video and post it back up here in the John Deere section. I'm sure others would be happy to give you a ball park number.

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what? #5  
If you can't keep it , and I would, then check eBay, Craig's list and iron auction sites. Look less at listed prices, but more at sold prices, location and conditions.

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what?
Thank you all for your responses! I do have many more pictures... of it before and during the restoration. I will post that in the other section and see what the response is. I figured around $6K which is pretty much getting back the money my dad spent in restoring it. I would just like to see it go to someone who will really enjoy it and show it off because it is very well restored and looks pretty spiffy! :)

/ Inherited a 1940 Model H Restored John Deere... now what? #7  
Do you know if any work was done on the engine ? If the engine is in good shape and the clutch has a good snap when you engage it , there is not a whole lot else to worry about on them old girls . Back to your question . $6K would be the high end and a good place to start . I would not take any less than 4500 $ if the tractor is as good as it looks . Sure would like to see pics of resto . and receipts . Just trying to be of some use , good luck ! BTW , I hope you do not regret selling it .