John deere 520

/ John deere 520 #1  

JD630

Tractor
We have been having trouble with our JD 520. It keeps taking points and once in a while condensers out. I rebuilt it last year and it ran fine until fall come, it started back firing, and points woulds only last a week. Now when we set the points the key is off and when we turn the engine over there is a small blue spark that occures. I thought there wasn't suppose to be power when key is off. Also it will run uneven with the generator hooked up to charge the battery. It is our everyday user and would be nice to have it working with out fighting it. Any ideas? Thanks

/ John deere 520 #2  
Using a 12v or a 6V coil? Coil and battery polarity is plus or neg? Sparks once or every time? Does the battery run down when the tracror is sitting? Is the wiring 100% factory or has somebody been tinkering?

/ John deere 520
Using a 12V coil on a 12V system, with the neg polarity(positive is ground) and it has factory wiring. The battery doesn't run down when sitting. It sparks every time in the distributor with the key off.

/ John deere 520
Why is it suppose to have a 6V coil.

/ John deere 520
So by switching it to a 6V coil should stop the little blue spark/problems that we are having. Or could it be in the wiring? What does the starting system bypass that would make it have to have a 6V coil.

/ John deere 520 #8  
There is more than one problem. The coil is supposed to be supplied full electrical system voltage while cranking via the bypass on the starter switch .once running the 6V coil is supplied 6V via the ballast resistor run circuit.
The condenser/capacitor will store a charge .
Somebody has either tinkered with the wiring and/or something electrical has failed. Is the generator regulator properly wired and set?

/ John deere 520
Ok that makes sense. I believe the generator is wired properly. but I dont know it is set. Before all of this happened the generator kept the battery fully charged, and we never had a issue with it.

/ John deere 520 #10  
Get a coil with a ballast resistor in it. Had a 57 Chevy that would eat a set of points for lunch, got an Accel Super coil (12 volts with ballast) no problems since, starts and runs better also. Also used the Super coils on a couple of tractors also.