jd214

/ jd214 #1  

jd214

Tractor
2-214-JOHN DEERE
i jsut purchased a 1981 214, i am kind of restoring same, have it running but i have a bad vibration when moveing m a lot worse on a hill or incline steering even shakes. any suggestions would of great help before i tear it down?? thnx

/ jd214 #2  
Maybe look for a belt that is coming apart... good luck on the restore.

/ jd214
hnx been there, i just removed fenders and gas tyank, pulley seem ok, belt look ok but im going to change drive belt anyway, i think maybe your rite, when i let out (clutch, it grabs real quick, not sure correct belt is even on there, thnx again.

/ jd214 #4  
That variable speed drive is, or can be, touchy to get to perform well.
Before tackling the belt change, look close to see that the free floating part of the variable pulley (it is in the center and called a sheave) moves easily when you change the variable speed lever. I had a 212, and all that was needed was some careful application of a good, fine penetrating oil on that shaft to get it to move free. Depending on storage and use, that shaft can get sticky or even a bit rusty.
Hope you know which floating (sheave) pulley part I refer to.

/ jd214
hi been there. is it not depending on the serial number for my 214- year 1981, ser # is 190331, there is the rear pulley and the floating one in frt of it that is on a loaded spring?? dont have a manual yet, also was wondering if you have to remove electric clutch to replace primary belt?? the belts look good no pieces missing .

/ jd214 #6  
There is a s/n break at 95000. So you have the newer one.
I do not know about getting at the primary belt. Hope your manual will tell you.

/ jd214
been there,
removed electric clutch to repace primary belt, thats going fine othan to line up the key on the crankshaft, have another ?, how does one remove brake band if someone before i owned it somehow put the pins in from the inside to hold band on??cnnot move the clips off the pins.

/ jd214 #8  
How about a pic or two to show that dilemma?

/ jd214
got the brakes repaired have another problem which way does the primary belt pulley go on the crank thick side in or out?? when i install clutch and pulley and tighten bolt on outside pulleys its so tight , engine will not turn over?????