Electronic Ignition

/ Electronic Ignition #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
I'm switching my 3020 over to electronic ignition. which brand of spark plug should I go with?

Thanks

/ Electronic Ignition
Also, does anyone know where I can find the Pertronix part number to fit my tractor?

/ Electronic Ignition #3  
I stay away from Champion plugs. Just have had bad luck with them, but that was 15+ years ago. Don't trust them any more.

Have you been to the Pertronix site?
Pertronix Performance Products

/ Electronic Ignition
Thanks.

I have been to Petronix website, but haven't been able to track down part number for my machine.

Has anyone bought one from ASAP?
Looks like they are made by Delco?
Comparable quality?

/ Electronic Ignition #5  
same one as you have in there now but with an "R" in the number ( or look up the cross ref plug with resistor )

the old ones will work fine with the new setup .....

/ Electronic Ignition #6  
Contact John Brillman at The Brillman company, www.brillman.com.
He will have the plugs and electronic ignitions you need in stock. Great service and prices too.

/ Electronic Ignition
Bought one from my local parts store. Pertronix 1145A. I currently have NGK AB-6 spark plugs and they look to be burning good so I will get another set. What is the deal with the resistor plugs? Do I need them when doing the conversion?

/ Electronic Ignition #8  
not really ..... but the resistor ones have an "air gap" inside so the spark has to build before jumping the internal AND external gap ... for a strong hot spark .... non resistor types can whisker or foul easier ....

/ Electronic Ignition
Well I got the new ignition installed. It went quick and easy, new spark plugs too. Did a compression test, low but ok. I had one plug that was fouled and probably hadn't been sparking for a long time so when I got new plug and ignition in it was exciting to see it running so well! I was finally able to lower my idle down to 500rpm and not have trouble revving the engine back up. Finished install off by setting timing to 20 degrees. It is a dream to operate now!

Or should I say was. I'm now having an issue starting the tractor when it's at operating temperature. It will fire up just fine, run for 1 second, and then shut right down. It's very consistent.

Recently I have also cleaned carb, replaced aftermarket in line fuel filter, changed oill in air filter, and removed rad to clean out fins on it and oil cooler.

Tonight I'm going to be looking into the carb to see if my starting issue is a fuel problem.

Any other ideas?

/ Electronic Ignition #10  
runs fine when cold ... not a fuel problem ( unless you're running very lean ) ....

points to a bad connection , switch , coil, or the new electronic unit ...

check for spark with an inductive timing light when the engine is hot ( does the unit fire when cranking but die when the key is returned to the run position)