74 JD 110 confused?

/ 74 JD 110 confused? #1  

mitch123

Tractor
z-50
I found this 74 JD with kohler K241 in old barn at sons new property owner said he could have it hasn't been running in over 20 yrs. loaded up took home started with basics getting it to turn over after soaking piston as it was with marvel mystery oil cleaning off valve cover an basic cleaning found froze up exhaust valve got that cleaned and set, found the safety button on neutral was causing no fire to starter fixed that dumped gas tank cleaned rebuilt carb every thing back together took out blocked froze fuel pump blocked it off, ready for first try amazing it fired and ran the starter fluid out excited I ran got phone videoed the same thing it cranked right up burned out starter now to make a makeshift gravity feed gas tank I filled bowl quick shot and nothing since then I get nothing, I've got a spark check and with it not connected to plug it shows hot fire from coil with it to plug light not much I bought new plug same thing. I want to check points condenser but cant get the fan housing off with the frame lie it is made kinda impossiable unless I take motor out unless there is a trick???? that's question number one next question why am I showing such a hot spark if coil is bad I get 12v on both post with key on would that completely rule out coil and new plug what are the chances I got a bad one ? would like some help trying to figure this one out I don't want to buy a lot of stuff to fix I up if im sinking alot into motor Thanks a lot Mitch

/ 74 JD 110 confused? #2  
Hi! Points and condenser are not under fan housing. on side of engine they are a small box with steel cover fix by two small screws inside this box are points clean with small file and adjust gap at .020 Top Dead Center piston in compression stroke. We need good breaker points for make induction in coil for make high voltage and good spark . Good Luck ! Oldmech

/ 74 JD 110 confused?
Thanks for the quick reply.Ive got to mow as soon as I get home tomorrow but after that I'll take care of those points.Can you tell me why when I take the coil wire with test line attached ground it to the block it shoots a nice hard stream of fire and when I hook it to the plug I get nothing or sporadic light light dosnt make since to me.But thank you so much for the response .And your in Canada you guys really eh all the time?

/ 74 JD 110 confused? #4  
Where is davidson?

/ 74 JD 110 confused?
in North Carolina not sure it put city not state .You don't happen to have a input into my question?

/ 74 JD 110 confused? #6  
Hi! Direct from coil gives better sparks because no resistance. Wire and sparkplug add resistance and reduce sparks (and noise for radio and tv). May be you could check Sparkplug Wire with a Vommeter. Check gap at sparkplug .035 they are resistor sparkplugs RH 10 and no resistor sparkplug H10. The R is for resistor . You can use H 10 sparkplug. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ 74 JD 110 confused?
Thanks makes since no one had a champion RH10 had to settle for auto lite 216 but I'll get those points when I get home try it. Again

/ 74 JD 110 confused?
Old mech shes alive took cover off stuck a file between the point buffed till both sides cleaned up I figured if my angle was off id do it exact on both sides anywho putt it back together and she fired right up need a carb adjust but that's childs play thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.You have a great day and thanks again