2030 oil/temp problem

/ 2030 oil/temp problem #1  

Jim 2030

Tractor
john deere 2030
Hi all,

I have a JD 2030 starts ok but gets very hot and oil vapour comes out of the rocker air vent pipe (same problem as" John Deere 2030 Oil pressure problem!" on you tube) and the oil light flashes and the side of the block get too hot to touch ? water gauge is in the green and the tractor pulls ok just very hot.

I was told it could be injector pump timing but not sure how to test ?

thanks
Jim

/ 2030 oil/temp problem #2  
My biggest concern would be that the oil light flashes. Take the oil light sender out and attach a pressure gauge and see what the oil pressure really is. The rule of thumb is 10 lbs of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm.

The block being too hot to touch doesn't really mean much as 130F is about the limit for being able to hold anything bare handed. The block should be hotter than that.

Most diesel tractors have some blow by coming out of the breather tube. The one in the video shows excessive blow by. It could be caused by something just as simple as the tractor has idled too much and not been worked hard enough to the other extreme of the engine needing an overhaul. Whatever the reason I would not leave the tractor idling with the oil pressure light on. That is just foolishness until you know what the oil pressure actually is. The fix for the oil light might be as simple as replacing the oil pressure light switch as they have been known to fail.

How do you use your tractor? Do you let it idle lots? Does it rarely get any hard work? A diesel need to be thoroughly warmed up to burn off all the deposits from combustion. Excessive idling can cause the rings to gum up and not seal which would then result in lots of blow by.