JD 1020 Hydrolic problems

/ JD 1020 Hydrolic problems #1  

Drifterbike

Tractor
John Deere 420, 1020,1025
I have a 1967 1020RU that i have had for 26years. last year got water in transmission case from torn shifter boots. Flushed out system with ATF fuild and desiel fuel. Drained system and refilled it and all seemed fine. Just last week while mowing i noticed the power steering was lagging behind and the 3 point was lifting slowley. If i turned it off let it set 3 minutes it was fine for awhile. I plan on draining and refilling it is there some way to flush the power steering system completley?? Thanks for any imput

/ JD 1020 Hydrolic problems #2  
I would first clean the screen in the sump and check for any debris in the fluid. Hopefully when you changed the oil you used the correct fluid to prevent problems with the brake disc linings. Using the atf fluid and diesel may have caused some disintegration of the linings. Hope I am wrong.

/ JD 1020 Hydrolic problems #3  
I agree it's important to check hyd oil sump screen. It's possible if your tractors serial number is below 045200 that your tractor has open center powering steering powered by a pump bolted to RH frt of engine. Also with 3 pt raised,engine running look in hyd filler hole for spraying oil which would indicate leaking 3 pt control valve seals which can cause frt pump to run out of oil causing problems you describe.

/ JD 1020 Hydrolic problems
Thanks for the help. I will work on it tomorrow. Plan to drain it completely and clean or change the screens. is the sump screen the on in the tranny case housing #30/ I see there is a screen in the front hydrolic pump also. I plan to take both out and clean or replace them. Along of course with the filter.

/ JD 1020 Hydrolic problems #5  
Although it's fine to check filter in frt hyd pump I've rarely seen it be stopped up. I suggest you check hyd filter relief valve(parts key 7 & 9) to be sure it's not stuck partially open. Screen is parts key 15 in my photo which isn't for a 1020 but still same location on all JD utility tractors of the same design.

Attachments

• R34071_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R34071_________UN01JAN94.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 985
After draining the trans Fluid I went to take the HYD Filter relief valve out and took the cover out then could not get the valve out. t tried needle nose pliers and a phillips screw driver. any tricks to getting it out. I was going to try and strike with a flat screw driver to see it I could loosen it. The fluid was really clean and the sump screen was spotless so I think the stuck relief valve might be the problem. I drained it thru the sump screen filter hole and took filter off. I got about 6 gallons out, should I open the drain plug on bottom to get the rest?? my serial number is 052884T made in 67 in Dubuque Ia. Thanks for all your help

/ JD 1020 Hydrolic problems #7  
Yes I suggest to remove drain plug. I agree you should try to GENTLY tap valve in.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I found the relief valve was stuck. I had to drill it and put a screw in it then grab it and pull it out. Ordered a New one (it helps I am 3 miles from the Milan warehouse) had it the next day. Installed it and fully drained the rest of the fluid and changed filters. Refilled it and it works great. Love the older tractors I use it to pull a 72" mower and drag my drive. Once again thanks