My John Deere

/ My John Deere #1  

Vegandoc

Tractor
John Deere industrial 401B
new tractor owner. John Deere 401B ?? It's circa 1970s
Runs great. 2400 hours on it. Front end loader.
Just bought brush hog and box blade.

QUESTIONS
Is it hard to fix the breaks, specifically right?
Is it hard to learn the 3part hitch to hook and take off?

I definitely don't do this for a living or am a meh antic. Though I'm mechanically savvy.
Thx

/ My John Deere #2  
For the brakes I would suggest buying a service manual. Money well spent. The 3 point hitch, hook up the stationary arm first then the adjustable length arm, adjust if necessary. Then top link followed by draft links. That's the way I do it! Or buy a quick hitch.

/ My John Deere #3  
For the brakes I would suggest buying a service manual. Money well spent. The 3 point hitch, hook up the stationary arm first then the adjustable length arm, adjust if necessary. Then top link followed by draft links. That's the way I do it! Or buy a quick hitch.
Now you have me confused and I've been around 3 point hitches for years. Yes hook up the stationary arm first, that's one, then the adjustable length arm? Not every tractor has a draw arm with adjustable length so do you mean the arm with adjustable height? If so OK that's two. Then the top link, that's three. It's a three point hitch so we are done .? right? What are these draft links you speak of?

/ My John Deere #5  
Welcome. If possible, park your implements on concrete and use dollies underneath them. Bush hog just needs a 2x6 the width of the "hog" with 3 steel castors on each side. Connect left side first and then adjustable-height right side arm.

Ralph

/ My John Deere #6  
Welcome to the TBN forum! :welcome:

I'm going to move your thread on over to the vintage JD section to see if we can get you some extra advice.

/ My John Deere #7  
Now you have me confused and I've been around 3 point hitches for years. Yes hook up the stationary arm first, that's one, then the adjustable length arm? Not every tractor has a draw arm with adjustable length so do you mean the arm with adjustable height? If so OK that's two. Then the top link, that's three. It's a three point hitch so we are done .? right? What are these draft links you speak of?

Yes adjustable height. draft links keep the implement from moving side to side. Most tractors have them, some are telescopic, some are turnbuckle and some just have chains, which is what the op's JD 401 probably has.

/ My John Deere #8  
Ah! never heard the side chains or turn buckles called that before.

/ My John Deere
new tractor owner. John Deere 401B ?? It's circa 1970s
Runs great. 2400 hours on it. Front end loader.
Just bought brush hog and box blade.

QUESTIONS
Is it hard to fix the breaks, specifically right?
Is it hard to learn the 3part hitch to hook and take off?

I definitely don't do this for a living or am a meh antic. Though I'm mechanically savvy.
Thx

Thx folks. This is exciting stuff to learn. I will check and work on all these things. I'll update if interested. Fun to mingle with new friends.

/ My John Deere #10  
Thx folks. This is exciting stuff to learn. I will check and work on all these things. I'll update if interested. Fun to mingle with new friends.
As a new member here you are of course unaware of the unwritten rules of the forum. Chief among them is "if there are no pictures then it never happened" . Figure out how to post pictures of both your problems and your victories and you will get a lot better feed back from the other members.
I use photo bucket but there are others. A good picture is worth a 1000 words. :)