JD 650 Brake woes

/ JD 650 Brake woes #1  

sporteus

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 650 - Very Used!
Pulled my brake covers this weekend to replace pads and see why my left brake was not operable. A couple issues I need some advice on.

1.) actuator cam/lever on left brake cover is fused to the cover. Soaked it in WD40, beat the snot out of it with a rubber mallet and I cannot get the lever to move at all or pop out of the cover. (Near as I can tell the previous owner ran it with a stuck brake, overheated the thing beyond reckoning and basically welded it on there.) Problem, they don't make these covers or levers anymore or at least the JD Parts sight says they are no longer available and to call my dealer. I have an e-mail into them, but not expecting miracles. Any suggestions? Anyone got a spare brake cover and cam/lever for a JD 650 they want to sell? Any good places to get used parts for this beast? I see a few out there, but don't have all day to make phone calls all over the place.

2.) Since I'm in there I was going to replace the drums, they're almost out of spec and I don't want to do this again. Problem, they're almost fused to the spindle (thinking these are probably the originals). I'm soaking those in WD40 as well hoping to get them to free up. But, there is no space to get a wheel puller behind it (less than 1/4" around the hub) and I have no ideas how to get any leverage on it to pull it off. Will likely start rapping on it with a hammer and socket tomorrow to see if I can get it to budge, but I'm not hopeful. Suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, and the best part of this was that the last owner didn't get a proper gasket for the brake covers, he used that blue make a seal stuff. Gobs of it everywhere, so I'm wondering how much got into the brakes and caused some of this. Sigh.

Thank you.
Steve

/ JD 650 Brake woes #2  
WD-40 is NOT a good penetrant. The best I've run across recently is Blue Creeper.
It is much better than my old standby which was Kroil.

You might have to drill it out if you think it is truly welded in place. But a good penetrant and a press (I would avoid beating on it) would be my first attack.

And as last resort, fabricating the cover and cam lever may be a reasonable option.

/ JD 650 Brake woes
I've confirmed I'm screwed on finding new covers/cams for these brakes. JD Dealer just confirmed they are not available and they have no alternatives. As for fabricating new ones, that's way out of my league. I'll be grateful to get it all back together and functioning without any leftover parts!

So, actively seeking suggestions for used JD parts for this '83 JD 650 tractor. Finding a few "junk" tractors for sale, but not salvaged for parts and I don't want to buy a whole other tractor for 3 parts...I'm funny that way.

/ JD 650 Brake woes #4  
A local millwork shop should be able to take your parts and make it for you. Check around...

And likely a similar shop could fix and repair what you have.

Not like you have a broken part, just the two seized together.

/ JD 650 Brake woes #5  
Take it to a shop,and have them heat it up with a torch,and it should break free. The cover is available at several places. Google CH15064
The left cam lever CH15063, doesn't pop up anywhere.
Check with Hoye Tractor-I think it is the same brakes as a YM186D,YM1510.They have a cover and left cam,(but not right) and maybe they would know for sure if it fits.(takes the same brake shoe kit)
In case you didn't know-your tractor is 100% Yanmar,made in Japan

/ JD 650 Brake woes
I think I got a line on a salvage yard in AL that has them, waiting to hear that they are operable. Anyone ever do business with Russell's Tractor Parts in Scottsboro AL??

I was thinking of heating it to see if it would break free from the cover. (Also considered using my neighbor's log splitter as a hydraulic press, with some minor modifications of course!!)

Actually had Hoye Tractor reply asking me for the Yanmar part numbers. I'm going to go check out those models you provided, thanks for the lead.

/ JD 650 Brake woes
Got a new cover and cam coming from Russell's. Problem 1 solved.

Now, the brake drum. Sigh. Right side came out easily, left side isn't budging. Bought some PB Blaster, been soaking it every chance I get. Did some rapping and tapping today, tried to get some leverage on it to pry it out.....nothing.

What kills me is that the spline has an indent for a wheel puller but there is only 1/4" clearance around the outside of the drum so there's no way to get a puller arm in there to get behind it. Was thinking of drilling holes to try to get some bolts into it to pull it, but I'm thinking I'll burn up a few drill bits trying to get through a brake drum.

So, I'm going to keep at it, but looking for suggestions. Was going to start heating/cooling it tomorrow if it doesn't budge physically, but I'm concerned about damaging the spline it's on. I have a new seal coming, so I can replace that (assuming it's not a permanent part of the machine too) but I'm hesitant to use heat and screwing something else up. Am I overthinking it?

Sigh.

/ JD 650 Brake woes #8  
The brake dust works it way in there and binds the stub in the plate. Use a good penetrant and press out the part after a good soaking. Ebay generally has such parts from parted out 650s.

prs

/ JD 650 Brake woes #10  
Duplicate post for some strange reason. Happens too often on TBN