420C - Need valve clearance spec

/ 420C - Need valve clearance spec #1  

CCWKen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford-3910, JD-420C, Kenbota-Custom, IH-2606
Anyone have/know the valve clearances? This is the 1.9L two cylinder gas Crawler, vintage 1956.

/ 420C - Need valve clearance spec #2  
I used to have the service manual, but alas I sold my 420C... and my 420Utility. The book went with the 420U

/ 420C - Need valve clearance spec #3  
I don't have a 420 book, but the M tractor with same style engine (smaller displacement) had tap pet clearance on intake and exhaust of .012". My guess is the 420 would be the same. Since the 420 is slightly larger, it might be around .014". Just a guess though.

/ 420C - Need valve clearance spec
Thanks for responding. Sorry I missed reporting back. I did find some specs that said to set them to .015" cold so that's what they are. I haven't even gotten to start the thing yet. Waiting on a few parts and the rain delayed things. I was near starting it on Friday (the 13th). I was filling the radiator and heard splashing on the ground. The first thing I thought of was, "Oh crap, the block is cracked". Followed the stream of coolant up the belly pan and it was coming from under the radiator. A pin had worked its way out of the hydraulic pump coupling and was eating away at the bottom tank. So off came the front. While I'm there, I'm replacing a collapsed suction hose to the pump, the pump coupling and replacing the fan and alternator belts along with cleaning out almost 60 years of grease and dirt. So, I'm waiting for parts again.

I installed a new volt meter, temp gauge, light switch, ignition switch, battery and rewired it while waiting for parts the first time. Hopefully, I'll have it running by next week end. :cool2:

Added: This whole mess started after a blown head gasket.