JD 650 convert from generator and rectifier to alternator.

/ JD 650 convert from generator and rectifier to alternator. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
This tractor has always been murder on rectifiers when using the front electro-magnet clutch. For the past 10 or more years I have had the charge circuit disconnected and use a combination start/deep cycle battery instead; putting that on a Deltran Tender when finished for the day. But, I would like to install a modern alternator. There are many choices, including one wire rigs, but this one with two wires catches my eye:

Amazon.com: DB Electrical APM0001 Permanent Magnet Alternator for Kubota Tractor and Utv: Automotive

It is for some Kubota small tractors and UTVs. Very basic and probably not at all hard to adapt to the existing brackets; but both wires are "blue" and I wonder if I am thinking correctly. Is one to be routed to charging circuit and the other to the dash mounted indicator light? If so, easy peasy.

prs

/ JD 650 convert from generator and rectifier to alternator. #2  
Looks to me like the old belarus magneto/ dynamo. could be wrong but make sure it doesn't require an external voltage reg. and rect. take care
BigRol

/ JD 650 convert from generator and rectifier to alternator. #3  
This 'Kubota' replacement may be the same as what you already have on your Yanmar-built JD 650. I think these all came from Hitachi or Denso or some other universal supplier. You might want to research this a little more, tracing on ebay etc the 'also fits' descriptions to see if its the same or different.

From that Amazon listing:
... and requires an external voltage regulator.

I wouldn't be surprised if this needs the same regulator you have now.

If this alternator/regulator set really is a superior replacement, we over in the Yanmar forum would like to know more. That regulator seems fail more than it should.

/ JD 650 convert from generator and rectifier to alternator.
Oh, so they call it an alternator, but it may be a dynamo? That seems like false claim.

prs

I now find this one, but do not know if ER means external rectifier or not. Will try to ask supplier.

Unit Type PM Alternator
Part Type UNIT
Voltage 12
Amperage 20
Regulator ER
Brief PERKINS, YANMAR
ADDL INFO: 10mm MTG. FOOT
ADDL INFO: 8mm x 1.25 ADJ EAR

PERMANENT MAGNET PM ALTERNATOR Fits John Deere 650 & 750 Diesel Utility Tractor

Will replace the following part numbers:
MIA10312 JOHN DEERE
GP9150 NIKKO
185046160 PERKINS
550185046160 PERKINS
Will fit the following applications: 1981 through 1989 John Deere 650 and 750. 1981 through 1988 Yanmar 3T90 and 3T80.

Just received reply from supplier. The item needs external rectifier/regulator. Is a dynamo, NOT an alternator.