JD 3020 clutch not disengaging

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #1  

schuyler co

Tractor
JD 3020 GAS 1965
I have 65 3020 gas w/synchro, I was backing wagon out of shed and went to clutch and stop and it kept going... i was able to smack it outta reverse and now when you go to shift it it grinds the gears. After taking the cover off there is about an inch between throw out and plate...the clutch still seems good because it will stop dead when pulling it and putting into gear....so why isnt my clutch disengaging???? What should i do to fix this????

thank you for any and all help!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #2  
Sounds like the clutch plates are sticking together. Was there a long period of time that the clutch wasn't used?
If so, may need to try popping the clutch plates apart.. don't know if that can be done with just the cover removed. Maybe a long flat blade screwdriver will work.

If possible, push the clutch pedal down and block or tie it in place. Then let it sit that way to see if it loosens up. Or put it in high gear and pull it with another tractor or vehicle (with tractor engine off and someone ready to put on the brakes).

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #3  
An inch between the throw out bearing the clutch fingers ? Maybe just be just about the time to adjust the clutch. The operator's manual has the specs.

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #4  
Had the same problem with an old Ford 3000. Clutch disc had stuck from being parked for a long time. Started it up in gear and drove it around. Alternated hitting the brakes and varying throttle while driving and it freed up.
Had the same luck getting a car clutch unstuck.
If you try this method make sure you are in a wide open area where you won't hit anything.

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #6  
Check to see if 1 of the three clutch PP bolts broke. The PP bolts have a long history of breaking. I think clutch pedal adjustment is fine and not the issue. Usually as clutch disk wears clearance between throw-out brg and PP fingers becomes non-existent therefore the need for adjustment to give some clearance.

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #7  
I agree with RickB. The clutch free travel adjustment is adjusted with a bolt in a slot in the pedal. An inch of clearance between the throw out bearing and the fingers is way too much. There should be about an inch of free travel in the pedal. That probably is only about 1/8" clearance at the fingers. Check bolt #3 on the pedal. See if it appears to have moved in the slot. If free travel is more than 1 inch, loosen the bolt with 3/4" wrench and tap it forward with a hammer until you get an inch of free travel and then tighten it up securely. 85 foot lbs if you have a torque wrench.

Attachments

• R6082__________UN01JAN94.gif
    R6082__________UN01JAN94.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,333
   / JD 3020 clutch not disengaging
Sounds like the clutch plates are sticking together. Was there a long period of time that the clutch wasn't used?
If so, may need to try popping the clutch plates apart.. don't know if that can be done with just the cover removed. Maybe a long flat blade screwdriver will work.

If possible, push the clutch pedal down and block or tie it in place. Then let it sit that way to see if it loosens up. Or put it in high gear and pull it with another tractor or vehicle (with tractor engine off and someone ready to put on the brakes).

I drive it usually several time a week

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging #9  
Then must have it fixed. How did you do it?

/ JD 3020 clutch not disengaging
no its not fixed though i drove it around engaging the pto and varying the throttle and can get it to now stop but if i let up any at all it takes offf again... any ideas???? throw out bear maybe sticking?????