Rebuild or buy new?

/ Rebuild or buy new? #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
I am looking for advice on whether to keep rebuilding my tractor or to buy something newer?

I have 1965 JD 3020 gas synchro range rated 70hp pto.

I am wanting to switch to round baling as our 30 acre field continues to yield more every year and is becoming too much work for the little amount of help we get.

My issue is the tractor pto clutch was slipping last year and the loader mounts are destroyed, two most needed parts on tractor for round baling.

I'm looking at a 1965 ish Ford 5000 8 speed with loader for $6500 CAD

Also been looking at a 1994 ish Vermeer 504i round baler for $3800 CAD.

Would those two work well together?

Any suggestions on buying new or rebuilding?

Thanks

/ Rebuild or buy new? #2  
Ford 5000 tractors are very good. I think you'll be fine with the Ford tractor & Vermeer baler.

/ Rebuild or buy new? #3  
Nothing wrong with the 5000 or Vermeer baler, but you realize that you’ll just end up fixing them at some point in the future as well? You’re talking about replacing your ’65 tractor with another ’65 tractor. Nothing wrong with two tractors, but I don’t see how you’re trading up. Fix the clutch and your current tractor will do fine. You don’t need a loader for round baling, it just helps when it comes time to move them. I’ve moved thousands of bales without a loader.

/ Rebuild or buy new?
Thanks for the replies.

I would be doing round bales for sale only so would like the loader to be able to load two high on a trailer.

Have you accomplished that without a loader?

/ Rebuild or buy new?
How about a 1975 Ford 3000 for $5500? Big enough to lift 4x5 bale two high on a trailer? I also have 7 foot sickle moco and small square baler. Would it run a 4foot round baler on flat ground?

/ Rebuild or buy new? #6  
How about a 1975 Ford 3000 for $5500? Big enough to lift 4x5 bale two high on a trailer? I also have 7 foot sickle moco and small square baler. Would it run a 4foot round baler on flat ground?

Tractordata.com lists a lot of info for Ford 3000. HP tests, fuel usage, etc. Maybe very helpful in determining if it would be a fit for you.

/ Rebuild or buy new? #7  
IMHO a Ford 3000 will need substantial rear counterbalance to safely handle 4X5 rd bales two high and be very marginal on HP for towing a rd baler.

/ Rebuild or buy new? #8  
IMHO a Ford 3000 will need substantial rear counterbalance to safely handle 4X5 rd bales two high and be very marginal on HP for towing a rd baler.

x2. You could probably make it work loading with the loader as long you kept a bale on the rear, but you’d probably have to downsize to a 4x4 baler unless your fields are flat. I’ve baled with my 3000 using an M&W (soft core) 4x4 baler, which is heavier than a traditional baler, but it struggled as the bale reached full size. I’d prefer not to do it again. A 4000 would be much better. However, at least around here you’ll rarely find them with loaders.