JD2020 diesel oil level

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
I've noticed that when changing the oil in my JD, when I put the recommended amount in, 6 Quarts with filter, the dip stick measures well above the full mark when cold. When warm, it's right on the top full mark. Which is right, check it cold, or warmed? I'm not sure the book says anything about that.

Other than that, I get a lot of oil coming out of the rear engine seal, at least I think, it constantly drips there. Understand it takes breaking the tractor in half to fix. I've had it in half but don't want to do that again. Ideas? Is it worth fixing?

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #2  
I've noticed that when changing the oil in my JD, when I put the recommended amount in, 6 Quarts with filter, the dip stick measures well above the full mark when cold. When warm, it's right on the top full mark. Which is right, check it cold, or warmed? I'm not sure the book says anything about that.

Other than that, I get a lot of oil coming out of the rear engine seal, at least I think, it constantly drips there. Understand it takes breaking the tractor in half to fix. I've had it in half but don't want to do that again. Ideas? Is it worth fixing?

Without more details how can anyone make an informed decision? Generally speaking I like 2020 diesels. But most of us would need to know more about the specific tractor. Can you post pictures?

The seal problem is not going away either.

/ JD2020 diesel oil level
What kind of details? When I check the oil after it's sat overnight, it shows way over the high mark, I could measure it. But when I check it right after I've used it any amount of time, it's right on the mark. This is right after I've emptied the oil while hot for several hours, changed the filter and added 6 quarts, per the manual recommendation. The level does go down with usage, but it's probably mostly the leak from the seal, the engine seems to run fine. Yes, I know the seal is not going to heal itself, I need to talk to a service dept to see if I think it's worth fixing. Pictures of the oil levels?

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #4  
May be that the oil is draining slowly out of the valve head... causing the level difference you experience. Pull the valve cover off and see if there is a lot of sludge there... might also be why you have oil dripping.. and it is an easy fix with a cleaning and new valve cover gasket.

Well, I can easily get a new valve cover gasket and look, but I'm certainly not getting any oil leakage from the valve cover, it's all coming out below the bell housing. I did talk to the local JD dealer and they said it was typical for that year to leak at the rear engine seal, but I'm not sure they would work on that year, there's an independent dealer locally I'll ask, or maybe compare both. Tractor runs good enough to keep.

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #6  
What kind of details? When I check the oil after it's sat overnight, it shows way over the high mark, I could measure it. But when I check it right after I've used it any amount of time, it's right on the mark. This is right after I've emptied the oil while hot for several hours, changed the filter and added 6 quarts, per the manual recommendation. The level does go down with usage, but it's probably mostly the leak from the seal, the engine seems to run fine. Yes, I know the seal is not going to heal itself, I need to talk to a service dept to see if I think it's worth fixing. Pictures of the oil levels?

I should have been more clear. Is it worth fixing? If the tractor is in good shape I would fix it up and keep it.

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #7  
DogT
IMHO 2020 isn't any more inclined to leak at rear main seal on engine than any other JD tractor. I'd suggest to repair seal and use tractor.

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #8  
Over filling the crankcase might be one of the contributing facts to the rear seal leaking. I would only fill the oil level to full when cold as typical when changing the oil. You may see a lot less rear seal leakage if you keep the oil level at full when cold.

I think all OEM recommend checking the oil before starting, not after running the engine.

I'll agree, oil should be checked before, not after running. I've also called the local JD dealer and they said it would be about $3500 to fix the seal, if that's what it is. Also said it would need a new clutch because of the oil leak. Not sure about that, the clutch works fine. It has independent PTO and a front PTO also. I had it apart many years ago to replace the throwout bearing and that was a project, wouldn't do it again. But it also leaks oil from the steering, the front power steering bearings are pretty worn, the 45 loader leaks down, the rear hydraulics work OK, but also leak down, I'm sure I could spend about $8K on this tractor or just use it. I may only be here another 5 years, I'm 72 now and I can't see staying here on the place for another 10 years. But I also see a 2020 in good shape goes for over $10K in Harrisonburg VA. Not great living on fixed income now. I only gave $5K for it back about '85 or so, but had to replace the inboard brakes and the hydraulic pump because there was the metal in it from the worn down brakes, and so on. I've probably got $12K in it now. It has been running good for at least 10 years now, other than the oil leak and the hydraulics leaking a bit.

I may pull off the bell housing cover and look up in there just for an inspection, maybe it's just the gasket on the bottom of the engine is leaking.

/ JD2020 diesel oil level #10  
Being a former JD dealer service manager it's difficult to believe that a JD dealer SM would have the gonads to state in would take $3500 to R&R rear main seal on a 2020. i'll bet JD flat rate on that task is less than 10 hrs & seal is $40. I also forgot to state in my other post that hyd oil can enter engine crankcase on an early model 1020/2020 via a failed power steering pump seal causing over full crankcase oil level..