JD2020 mid pto seal leak

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
The mid pto drips, it's on the bottom front of the trans. Is the seal right there around where I'm looking at the pto shaft or is it mounted internal? It's hard to figure from the book. If it's on the outside, I suppose I can just put a screw in it, pull it out and install a new one with some kind of protection around the splines? If it's internal, I'll just use a catch pan.

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak #2  
Didn't find model 2020 but the 2520 is in the series... if that works, then here is schematic of seal on mid PTO shaft of 2520. Hopefully helpful
Seal is key # 23, and appears on the outside for your "fix" to work.
My apology if this is the older model 2020, and not the new subcompacts...

Attachments

• 2520_midPTO.jpg
    2520_midPTO.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 253
   / JD2020 mid pto seal leak #3  
If this is the mid PTO of the older 2020, then looks similar.. per attached.

Key #12 is the seal part # AT21420

Attachments

• 2020_midPTO.jpg
    2020_midPTO.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 260
   / JD2020 mid pto seal leak #4  
beenthere
Your last parts schematic is correct for a 2020. FYI 2020 & 2520 were built in totally different factories. 2020 in Dubuque & 2520 in Waterloo.

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak #5  
Thanks Jim.
Also, the other 2520 I referenced first was the compact utility.. 26 hp and may have been built in Augusta, GA. Referred to as being in the 2020 series which apparently means 2x20 models 2320, 2520, and 2720. Can get confusing.

Forgot about that ag 2520 tractor built in Waterloo.

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak
I finally found it in my parts book. I've got independent pto, so it's actually a different page, but same part number. Actually as I remember you only get a choice of mid or rear pto with the selector lever. What is that gasket #13? does that go behind the quill, inside the trans? Can I just pull that seal out with a screwdriver and then what do I cover the splines with, mylar tape? I imagine there's a special JD tool to install it. I suppose I should drain the trans before I pull that seal out. Plan was to change it anyhow and clean the screen at the bottom of the trans.

Where is that JD parts link and is it any different than my parts book? Thanks.

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak #7  
This is the link I use to get to jdparts. I did the free registration, and don't know if that is why it works for me.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak #8  
DogT
I think you can pull seal with a screwdriver or better yet a slide hammer with a screw point. Trans will require draining.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44.7 KB · Views: 259
   / JD2020 mid pto seal leak
Thanks Jim. I can figure out something to get the seal out when I drain the oil. I've noticed since the new o-rings on the hydraulic valve the hydraulics seem to operate a bit quicker, I imagine the pressure may be better with good seals in place there. May just be my imagination, you know like when the car runs better after an oil change. I was so sore from all that work the other day I had to take 2 Vicodin last night but I feel good today. I really appreciate all you guys help.

/ JD2020 mid pto seal leak #10  
I finally found it in my parts book. I've got independent pto, so it's actually a different page, but same part number. Actually as I remember you only get a choice of mid or rear pto with the selector lever. What is that gasket #13? does that go behind the quill, inside the trans? Can I just pull that seal out with a screwdriver and then what do I cover the splines with, mylar tape? I imagine there's a special JD tool to install it. I suppose I should drain the trans before I pull that seal out. Plan was to change it anyhow and clean the screen at the bottom of the trans.

Where is that JD parts link and is it any different than my parts book? Thanks.

Gasket 13 replaces from inside the clutch housing.

Then only difference the online part catalog will have, is it will be updated, if a P/N is NLA or changed.