JD2020 power steering leak

/ JD2020 power steering leak #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
So, now I've got the oil pan leak free, the hyd pressure control valve leak free, it looks like my next leak to fix is the PS leak. Appears to get a lot of oil coming from up where the steering shaft arm connects into the clutch housing, up where it can't be seen from below the tractor. Is this something that the dealer needs to do or can I handle it? My expertise includes rebuilding a 69 Norton Commando down to the last bolt, but I don't have a machine shop and I send things out like valve guide replacements and general machine work.

Is this something easy, or is it going to require taking the PS off the tractor and rebuilding the insides? First thing the tech manual says is to remove inlet pressure oil line. Where is that? Am I really going to need the special JD tools to do a couple of the things mentioned in the manual if I remove the innards?

This may be something I'll attempt after the mowing season is done and before the snow flies, end of next month, unless it's just a gasket I can easily replace.

/ JD2020 power steering leak #2  
L59025_________UN01JAN94.gif You need to replace seal #8. To to this, you need to remove cover #1 from the right side of the clutch housing. Then remove bolt and retainer #15 and 6. That will allow pin #4 to pulled out of steering shaft #7. Then wind the steering wheel full right to disengage the steering valve link from the shaft. Then remove bolt and washer #10 and 11. Then the steering arm #9 can be removed from the shaft. The shaft will need to be slid to the right enough to drop the steering arm out. The steering arm is splined to the shaft on a tapered spline and it should be on there tight. I usually thread a longer 5/8" bolt into the end of the shaft (around 6") and then use a heavy hammer to hit end of the bolt to break loose the tapered spline fit. Once the arm is off and out of the way, the seal is easy to replace.

/ JD2020 power steering leak
That sounds like something I can do easy enough and not have to dig into the PS valves. I guess those 'freeze plug' looking things on the left side are for access to some of those parts? Thanks for the info, I would probably burn my hair off trying to figure how to remove the steering arm from the shaft. Will I need to replace gasket #3? Or can I just use some prematex ultra black if it breaks up? I'm sure it will be hard as a rock.

BTW what thread is that bolt #11 so I can have one ready?

/ JD2020 power steering leak #5  
Here's the capscrew(key 11) spec's.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 152
Thanks, 5/8 UNC, is there a web link to those JD 'part details' so I can look things up on my own?

Tractor seems to run better and a bit quieter in the hydraulics with the pressure valve not seriously leaking. I did find the small o-ring in the drained oil, it was pretty flat. If I get the PS leak fixed that may help too. Local dealer called this AM and have the PS seal and gasket in. I can hardly stand it, a leak free 2020 (relatively). Then to clean up that Exxon Valdez oil slick in the barn.

/ JD2020 power steering leak #7  
To look up spec's on JDparts.com website one must register with a JD dealer on website. Then parts are put in shopping cart then one can right click on part number entered in shopping cart to reveal the JD part spec's. Most but not all parts spec's are available. HTH's,Jim

/ JD2020 power steering leak #8  
To look up spec's on JDparts.com website one must register with a JD dealer on website. Then parts are put in shopping cart then one can right click on part number entered in shopping cart to reveal the JD part spec's. Most but not all parts spec's are available. HTH's,Jim

In addition to what TxJim said, you will also know price and if in stock at your local dealer (the dealer you sign up for) and you can place an order for not in stock parts to be ordered by that dealer. Well worth signing up for.

Thanks, yes I did a search on 'JD part details' and found it. What I'm wondering now is since I have the rebuild kit for the PS (AT25588) should I go ahead and take it all off and do the whole nine yards, or is it really worth it? I do get a bit of seepage out of the top of the steering, but the steering wheel is somewhat damaged and there's no center JD plug. I'm wondering if I'm opening a can of worms with that one?

I don't know how many hours are on this machine, but probably lots, it's not new to me, but the engine is strong and doesn't appear to burn oil. I've had it since about '85 or so and has a 145 loader on it and it's had light usage from me except when we get lots of snow, I've got a mile long driveway and there's been plenty of times when I've had to use the loader to move the snow. I have replaced the brakes and the hydraulic pump many years ago, there was some metal brake chaff in the hyd oil, that's why I replaced the hyd pump, it quit. I put rare earth magnets in the intake to the hyd filter to collect that.

Well, I haven't been successful at breaking the splined shaft away from the steering arm lever. It all came apart pretty easy except for the seal on the cover, that was a bear. I made sure the steering linkage was up away from the shaft arms. I even hit the bolt I threaded into the shaft with a digging bar about 5 times and no movement. I don't want to put heat on it, afraid of fire. Any other bright ideas before I have it hauled in?

I think most of the other leaks are gone, I didn't see any drips from the oil pan or the hyd pressure valve. Didn't realize you could look at the clutch in one of those inspection ports, it's dry so the rear engine seal seems OK.