Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
I know there's been metal in my hyd oil since the day I replaced the main hyd pump because the brakes had worn down to the metal. That was about 25 years ago, a few years after I got the thing. I flushed the trans as good as I could which was not good enough, but I've been placing rare earth magnets in the inside of the hyd filter and changed the oil several times. When I do change the filter, I don't find metal gloss, or very little. I change and clean all the filters regularly, if not more so. But when I had the PS apart I could see on the top of some shelf below the PS housing (inside the trans) I could see all sorts of semi-crusted metal encrusted surfaces. Dragging a tool across it of course shows a layer of metal encrusted oil. Before I drain and re-fill the trans again to replace the mid-pto seal, is there any 'easy' way to get in there and flush a lot of this crap out of the trans? Take the rocker shaft top off, or is that a big project with not much to see in there?

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #2  
No easy way that I know of to flush metal fines out of trans/hyd system on a JD 2020

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020
Would removing the top of the rockshaft cover give me any view inside or are there still too many other areas I wouldn't be able to get to? And it might be a lot of work for not much result? I pulled out the long filter cover and drained about 5 gallons out, I suppose that's the bulk of it, but there's still 2 more bottom plugs to pull. I can let it drain for quite a while, it's raining today and into tomorrow. Too wet to do anything anyhow.

Like I say, when I change the main filter, there's very little metal visible, even on the magnets. I suppose at some point it's going to eat the main pump again, hopefully after I'm outta here, I'm 73 next month and can't see staying here much more than 5 or so years, or less if one of us has health problems, none yet.

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #4  
Don't plan on "moving on" too soon. Many people that do spend all their retirement funds then end up living to over 100. 100+ is common on my mothers side of the family.

My great aunt was active to the very end at 101. She bought a new truck every 3-4 years and ran her 4-wheeler like she stole it. She stopped buying trucks when she turned 90 since all she did then was drive to the mail box. She gardened on her 140ac and sold trees off the rest. She passed in her sleep. When I go, I'd like it to be that way. Until then, I try to keep the machines maintained and going like I'm going to wear them out! :)

Well, I'm not worried about 'moving on'. Financially we're ok, but not rich, like I wouldn't buy a new tractor. Between our pensions and 401k and paid off house and 55 acres we're very comfortable and can even travel if we like, but I find travel boring, I've done that when I was younger and seen enough. But I tell you, I can't do things like when I was younger, 4 hours work a day is enough for me now, but I can still walk up the 200' hill from the barn to the house and get the heart rate up to about 150, even with meds that depress it.

I guess I'll pull the other 2 drain plugs tomorrow and re-fill it, change/clean the filters and just go on from there unless someone has some great idea.

If this main pump has lasted at least 20 years with those filings in the oil, that's OK with me. If the pump dies, I suppose it's time for something else, but there's no sign of that. The last pump was kinda slow to go and I still have good pressure with the replacement. I did put new brakes in it too.

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #6  
The front pump also has a filter. Depending on which pump you have, it is P/N R68381 or R27173 You might want to change it.

Yes, I know there's a round screen on the front pump too, I'll get that one.

New problem. Looking at the mid-pto, it appears like there's a cover over the seal? I tried a little screwdriver on it but didn't press on it much, I didn't want to mess it up. I certainly can't see the seal like any usual seal looks like or even like the one I got to replace it. I don't see anything there in the parts book. Anyone know what this is? Here's a link to the picture http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg287/DogTi/other/seal_zpsof3clyvm.jpg

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #8  
When I have one of these contaminated with metal filings, I like to remove the load control shaft and bushings. A lot of debris settles in around that load shaft and is difficult to get cleaned out. After the load shaft and bushings are out, you can run a magnet through there to help clean it out. Removing the rockshaft is not a bad idea. You can flush out a large portion of the housing while it is off. I use diesel fuel to wash them.

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #9  
When I have one of these contaminated with metal filings, I like to remove the load control shaft and bushings. A lot of debris settles in around that load shaft and is difficult to get cleaned out. After the load shaft and bushings are out, you can run a magnet through there to help clean it out. Removing the rockshaft is not a bad idea. You can flush out a large portion of the housing while it is off. I use diesel fuel to wash them.

Do you automatically put in new bushings, since you pulled the old ones? I know JD does not recommend pulling the bushings unless absolutely necessary.

/ Metal in Hydraulic fluid 2020 #10  
Do you automatically put in new bushings, since you pulled the old ones? I know JD does not recommend pulling the bushings unless absolutely necessary.

DITTO that's what I was taught at JD service schools.