Ridiculous! Thermostat help?

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #1  

DerekA09

Tractor
1959 John Deere 730
Well my tractor won't reach operating temperature so I figured that it's probably a good idea to replace the thermostat. Cheap easy fix right? Wrong! I got on steiner tractor and ordered the thermostat. $12.50 says its fits 620, 630, 70, 720, 730 diesel. Well since they didn't make a diesel 620/630 I thought hmm must fit 720/730 gas too. Boy was I wrong. I had my dad's 2" thick John Deere 730 parts manual and sure enough it says I ordered the right part. The one they sent me looks like a regular old thermostat 1.5" long and 2.5" around. The one I end up pulling out of the tractor is like 4" long and 2.75" around. Well come to find out that $12 thermostat fits basically every tractor but mine. So I go online and look up John Deere parts manual. This time for a gas 730. Well it's a different part number. I looked this up. Steiner tractor doesn't even have it. The only place I can find it is for $200!! for a thermostat?!?! Please someone tell me they know where I can get one cheaper than this? AF1710R

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #2  
Test your thermostat to make sure it's still working and does not stick open or closed. Also check your operating temperature, maybe your existing gauge is reading low. I wouldn't pay $200 for a thermostat either. I would put it back together and install a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and watch the temps carefully. Good luck.

SimS

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #3  
Google "Inline Thermostat Housing". I saw one on a very old forklift years ago. All I know.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #4  
I would do one of two things. I would either find a 2.5" thermostat that fits. (try NAPA) Or have an adapter machined that will hold a regular thermostat in your tractors thermostat housing.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #5  
Stant #13446 is a cross reference for AF1710R. You might check exact measurements to be sure. It was listed at about $40.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #6  
Well my tractor won't reach operating temperature so I figured that it's probably a good idea to replace the thermostat. Cheap easy fix right? Wrong! I got on steiner tractor and ordered the thermostat. $12.50 says its fits 620, 630, 70, 720, 730 diesel. Well since they didn't make a diesel 620/630 I thought hmm must fit 720/730 gas too. Boy was I wrong. I had my dad's 2" thick John Deere 730 parts manual and sure enough it says I ordered the right part. The one they sent me looks like a regular old thermostat 1.5" long and 2.5" around. The one I end up pulling out of the tractor is like 4" long and 2.75" around. Well come to find out that $12 thermostat fits basically every tractor but mine. So I go online and look up John Deere parts manual. This time for a gas 730. Well it's a different part number. I looked this up. Steiner tractor doesn't even have it. The only place I can find it is for $200!! for a thermostat?!?! Please someone tell me they know where I can get one cheaper than this? AF1710R

There is a number stamped into the T-stat. That number tells you what temp it is supposed to start opening at.

Go to a store and match it up with a different T-stat that opens at the same temp. If you have a spring-loaded bypass, get a T-stat with a spring-loaded bypass.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #7  
IS it closed when at room temp? It should be, and if that is the case, your problem isn't the stat. You might throw it in boiling water to see if it opens, just for the heck of it. But it should close again when removed.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #8  

The part itself has been out of production since 1957, I think what is surprising is that Deere still has almost 50 left.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #9  
Without a temperature shut down, placing cardboard in front of the radiator is a quick to way to ruin an engine. Rates right up there with no oil or no water.

A thermostat needs a gradual increase in water temperature to check for correct operation. Thermostats can stick closed and not open until the water is near boiling then go from completely closed to fully open and blow about 75 percent of the water out the overflow. Been there done that.

/ Ridiculous! Thermostat help? #10  
The part itself has been out of production since 1957, I think what is surprising is that Deere still has almost 50 left.

At $200 each, the stock will likely stay high for some time ;-)