Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020

/ Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020 #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
So I ordered a bunch of parts for the load control o-rings and seals and at the same time I ordered a rockshaft repair kit involving a bunch of rings and seals for the rockshaft cylinder. Also the rockshaft housing gasket. While I'm in the rockshaft trying to flush the metal crap, what will I see in there? Will I be able to see up into the clutch housing, under the PS? Should I take off the shift lever housing? What I'm sort of wondering is what is that shelf right below the PS mainshaft, it was just below it a few inches, I could see it through the RS PS cover when I had it off and there was a lot of ground up metal settled on it. I'm just wondering how much of these settled filings I can get out of the trans and clutch housing area?

I'm hoping too that maybe I can resolve the settling of the 3 pt. bars when the tractor is turned off. Otherwise it seems to work OK with the tractor running, it doesn't drift up or down, but as soon as I turn it off, it settles if left up which I don't do. The loader drifts up all the time when running and down when off, but that's because the controls are worn. It's almost bad enough I want to replace the controls, but a replacement has the ports on the reverse side and I'm not sure if I'll have to replace the hoses. 2 Spool 8 GPM Prince MB21GB5C1 DA Valve w/Float | Directional Control Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

I'm not sure when I'm going to tackle this, but right now it's pretty cool out for August, high was 65ーF today. Thanks for any insights.

/ Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020 #2  
When you remove rockshaft cover you can't see through to clutch housing because those are separated cavities. Did you order T17882 quad ring that fits in a recess at RH frt of trans case? This quad ring seals hyd galley that supplies oil to rockshaft housing. After cleaning metal fines I'll suggest before you reinstall screen to insert a magnet in sump screen hole. I've read that magnets utilized in cows to help hardware disease will fit in screen hole. If you replace RS piston seals & RS control valve seals that should stop RS settling if RS control valves are seating properly if RS piston bore isn't scored..

/ Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020
No, I didn't order T17882, I'll get it. I see it on the RS page, but it goes into the trans case side? The parts blow up is not clear. I also need some parts for the hyd filter housing bolt. I ordered AR92385 seal repair kit and the 4 seals/rings for the load control too. Also gasket for RS housing.

So how do I get into the rear cavity of the clutch housing into that area below the PS main shaft to clean the filings from that area? Take off that moon shaped cover for the PS on the right side of the clutch housing? Where does that cavity drain from?

I'll get some of those cow magnets. But first I'm just going to try to fix the seals on the load control shaft.

/ Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020 #4  
There should be no metal fines below shift cover because there's not suppose to be any hyd oil in that cavity.

What about that area below the PS main shaft, the one where I repaired the PS arm seal that was leaking off the LS. I can see under the moon shaped PS cover on the right side there's all sorts of metal on a surface right below that PS main shaft? There's all sorts of hyd oil in there. Right behind the clutch.

I don't know what it looks like under/in the rockshaft area, I've never had that apart. I guess I'll eventually find out.

Besides that, the tach cable is still leaking where it goes into the housing, despite new parts. That's a real rough place to get to and tighten that cable end. Any hints on that? I could put some RTV on those threads? I did take the foot throttle assy apart to get in there better but it's still a close area and hardly an area to get a tool into.

Thanks Jim.

/ Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020 #6  
What about that area below the PS main shaft, the one where I repaired the PS arm seal that was leaking off the LS. I can see under the moon shaped PS cover on the right side there's all sorts of metal on a surface right below that PS main shaft? There's all sorts of hyd oil in there. Right behind the clutch.Thanks Jim.

The cavity you're referring contains oil leaking out of PS. IIRC there is an oil galley built into clutch housing that routes the PS return oil back to trans reservoir.

So if I flush out that PS area under the moon shaped cover with diesel, it will just gravity return to the trans and drain out there?

/ Flushing the trans and clutch housing for metal filings 2020 #8  
It's been many yrs since I looked in that cavity on a JD tractor similar to your 2020 but IIRC there is no drain back to trans on that cavity. The PS valve housing has a return oil galley to clutch housing sealed by PS valve mounting gasket.

well, I remember when I changed the PS seal on the left side, I had to drain the oil in that area from a plug under that moon shaped cover. Maybe that's where I have to drain it if I flush it in there.

I got the parts today and actually T17882 comes as part of the RS kit. Guess I'll have to take the mower off to get at things.