Starter keeps cranking

/ Starter keeps cranking
Yes. Sorry. I was checking the continuity on the switch. The switch checked out ok.

/ Starter keeps cranking
That wasn't much of a surprise..

I have put a new solenoid on it and it still does it. I am leaning towards the batteries are junk. Not holding enough amps. I am gonna try new batteries this week when it warms up and the fuel filter and pump can de-jell.

/ Starter keeps cranking #13  
I have put a new solenoid on it and it still does it. I am leaning towards the batteries are junk. Not holding enough amps. I am gonna try new batteries this week when it warms up and the fuel filter and pump can de-jell.

Before you buy batteries, can you disconnect all the wiring off your starter but the battery cable, and then after blocking the wheels and double verifying that its in neutral jump from the starter battery post to the solenoid switch terminal to see if it behaves normally then.

/ Starter keeps cranking #14  

I have witnessed where low battery voltage caused solenoid internal washer to stick to studs more especially on 24 volt starters.

/ Starter keeps cranking
I have witnessed where low battery voltage caused solenoid internal washer to stick to studs more especially on 24 volt starters.

A few days ago I tried to start it after charging the batteries and everything was good the solenoid acted as it should (start let go of key and starter disengages). I took a while to start because there was some jelling going on. Once it died I tried to start it again and the starter stayed on would not turn off until i disconnected the batteries.

Later on this week when it warms up above 30 and the lines de-jell i will try it again with a full charge on the original batteries and if that doesnt work than i will try jumping at the solenoid as stated in post #13.

/ Starter keeps cranking #16  
You have a low voltage problem.

I had the same thing on my John Deere 350D and it took awhile to find too, so don't feel too bad. I always start with the easiest and the least expensive things to check first. Here is a short list...

1. Check to make sure the positive lead wire is not chaffed and shorting out on the chassis somewhere robbing your starter of voltage
2. Check batteries
3. Check negative battery terminals for contacts on chassis
4. If you have a spare battery cable, try attaching it from starter to chassis, sometimes a starter does not get a good ground through the chassis due to oil and paint, etc

5. But, you said the tractor is industrial. I wonder if it has a battery disconnect switch? If it does, that is most likely your culprit. That is NOT a knife switch, it has contacts that as you move the lever, it brings power upwards and into contacts. These arc out over time and cause low voltage problems. It took me awhile to find that issue on my tractor.

It is best to put the disconnect switch on the negative side of the batteries, but is not always easy to do. It does however prevent arcing inside the switch.

/ Starter keeps cranking
Ok. So i took the starter out and took it to a garage that my wife works at and one of the techs there bench tested it. He said the starter is fine and he be leaves that my problem is the spacer and the tip of the starter is no longer sitting in the grove witch is letting the gear over through the flywheel and the starter gear is becoming hung up and not retracting. So i have ordered the new spacer for $9. Just waiting on parts to come in. I ordered #'s 6,7,8

Starter parts diagram.png

/ Starter keeps cranking
Ok. So I have received the parts for the starter and put them in. It starts up and the starter is acting normal and it seams that it is easier to start. Not a long slow crank. So maybe this was an issue for awhile and it just got worse.

Thank you everyone for all of your input.

/ Starter keeps cranking #19  
Thanks for posting the follow up. Glad to hear you got it going!