Starter keeps cranking

/ Starter keeps cranking #1  

70jd400

Tractor
JD 400 Industrial
I have a 1970 JD 400 industrial. A few days ago i tried to start it and it just kept cranking. I pulled the starter took it apart and cleaned it up. To day i put it back in and it did it again so i went out and got a new starter solenoid and put that on. Well guess what... It does the same thing turn the key it cranks let go of the key and it still cranks. What could be the issue? Could i have put the wires back on wrong?

/ Starter keeps cranking #2  
ignition switch is the likely culprit

/ Starter keeps cranking
Ok thank you. I guess ill get a new switch and try that. Guess i wont be plowing with it tomorrow.

/ Starter keeps cranking #4  
You can check it easy enough. Remove the exciter wire at the solenoid (the smallest one, probably 14 gauge or so) and connect a test light to the wire. When you hit the key, the test light should only stay lit as long as you hold the key in crank position. If it stays lit then your switch is confirmed bad.

In that case you could have somebody yank the wire off once you get the tractor started so you can plow snow until you can replace the switch.

/ Starter keeps cranking #5  
It will surprise me if ign switch is at fault. Low battery voltage or arc spots can cause washer(outlined in red) inside solenoid to stick to stud heads(outlined in green). Did you disassemble solenoid cap & chec k for arc spots on outlined components.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 542
   / Starter keeps cranking
It will surprise me if ign switch is at fault. Low battery voltage or arc spots can cause washer(outlined in red) inside solenoid to stick to stud heads(outlined in green). Did you disassemble solenoid cap & chec k for arc spots on outlined components.

There was on the old solenoid. So i bought a new one and same problem. I took the ignition switch out and with a multi meter checked from the battery lead on switch to the solenoid lead on switch while the key was in start position and it toned good. When i let go of the key as if it has started it toned good too.Starter Solenoid.jpg

Last edited:
   / Starter keeps cranking #7  
What is "toned good" ? Lost me there... sorry

/ Starter keeps cranking #8  
What is "toned good" ? Lost me there... sorry

The OP's meter obviously has a tone for the continuity check.
It is a very handy function, and most quality meters have that feature.

/ Starter keeps cranking #9  
Don't know if this applies. On the old John Deere 730 (24 volt starter) mine starting acting like this. You'd start it and the tap the starter/solenoid with a hammer to get it to disengage. About 6 weeks of this "little circus" and the starter/solenoid was done. Turned out starter was ok and had to put a solenoid on it. Then no more trouble.

/ Starter keeps cranking #10  
Don't know if this applies. On the old John Deere 730 (24 volt starter) mine starting acting like this. You'd start it and the tap the starter/solenoid with a hammer to get it to disengage. About 6 weeks of this "little circus" and the starter/solenoid was done. Turned out starter was ok and had to put a solenoid on it. Then no more trouble.

That wasn't much of a surprise..