hydraulic problems 70's vintage John Deere 300b loader

/ hydraulic problems 70's vintage John Deere 300b loader #11  
Prowl around Surplus Center for parts for a gauge..
Surplus Center

Also, similar threads are listed at the bottom of the page, that you can read for more info.

/ hydraulic problems 70's vintage John Deere 300b loader #12  
ok.....looks like I have to buy a gauge and some fittings.
all those pumps look difficult to replace :(
I will look thru the tractor threads to find a place to buy the gauge and what size fittings
thank you very much
I believe the pump test fitting is a -5 ORB to what ever you want to adapt to your gauge

/ hydraulic problems 70's vintage John Deere 300b loader
thanks again guys :) I will hunt around and also hopefully the weather will get warmer here in New Hampshire in the next few weeks to tinker on it

/ hydraulic problems 70's vintage John Deere 300b loader #14  
thanks again guys :) I will hunt around and also hopefully the weather will get warmer here in New Hampshire in the next few weeks to tinker on it

If it works fine for half an hour and then begins to shudder that tells me that the pump and hydraulics are fine, but there is some problem that happens when the hydraulic fluid heats up. I'm saying that because half an hour is about how long it takes for the hydraulic fluid in my JD 310 to heat up and when the fluid finally does heat up, there is a surprising increase in the volume of fluid. That's easy to see on the 310, because 310s have a fluid level gauge right hanging out on the side of the hood where you can't miss it. That level changes several inches from cold to warm. I don't know what that is in fluid volume, but I'd guess 10% or 2.5 gallons.
Kinda surprising that the volume changes that much even though I'm using the good old recommended hydraulic fluid that most John Deere commercial owners use - John Deere 303 fluid.

I'm guess that you know the JD 300s are like lots of JDs in that they use a closed center hydraulic system - so it is very different from the hydraulics on most other Ag or Compact tractors.
Based on what you've said so far, I think your pump is fine. Keep in mind that closed hydraulic systems are sensitive to being overfilled.

So.....also based on the half hour before stuttering starts happening and your saying that oil or hydraulic fluid is overflowing the fill port, My first guess would be that you have too much of the wrong fluid in the hydraulics. Drain out a gallon or two and see if that helps. It won't hurt anything to run it that way for awhile.

BTW, if you are running motor oil instead of hydraulic oil in there, better check the ops manual. My newer 310 definitely requires hydraulic oil in the hydraulics, but it isn't impossible that some of the older 300 series could use motor oil. I know for a fact that some owners did so, and I also know that they had to pay special atttention to how much oil was in the system because motor oil expands differently than hydraulic oil. But I don't know which or what. Anyone know?

If draining out some fluid doesn't help, - and you have real hydraulic fluid in there - then you have heat-related sticking going on in either one of the relief valves or the accumulator. These are all easy fixes which don't require detailed mechanical knowledge and are not expensive. Stay out of that pump for now.

Nice tractor, enjoy
rScotty

/ hydraulic problems 70's vintage John Deere 300b loader #15  
In my experience, when the hydraulics work fine with cold oil when first started and deteriorate when run for a while, it is usually an internal leak somewhere. First, I would start the tractor and let it run for about 15 or 20 minutes without using it. Then feel the hydraulic lines and components for heat. Feel the steering column since the steering valve assembly is known for blowing orings and dumping oil to sump causing heated oil and slow hydraulics. Next feel the three point hitch(rockshaft) housing especially the top front of the housing on the right side. The rockshaft valve also is known for blowing orings and leaking internally. You can also look for this when looking in the rear fill hole behind the seat while running. You can see oil mist spraying when the orings are leaking. The rockshaft and steering are relatively cheap easy fixes. If you don't feel hat from high pressure leaks, You can have internal leaking in the transmission system. Not sure how your tractor is equipped, but if it has a hydraulic shift hi-lo or reverser, or has an independent pto, those clutch packs can get leaks internally, but usually that has additional symptoms of slipping clutches. You also should check the filter relief valve and cooler relief valve.

Thank you so much guys!!......today I only had time to check the fluid level cold.....it was a little over filled.
yesterday when hot, the hydraulic oil was foamy. I also looked in the fill hole while it was running and saw no spraying of any kind.
Tractor has shifter hi/lo/park and other shifter 1/2/3/4 . Also a reverser forward and reverse lever on the steering column (no middle neutral) . Hydraulic clutch and a 3 point hitch.
The motor runs excellent (does not stall under load),steers fine, 3 point hitch to raise and lower the snow blower is fine, (also does not weep down.....stays right in the air... motor running or not)

next week I will feel around the tractor....hee hee hee
Have a excellent weekend

using tractor supply 303 hydraulic oil