recently rescued John Deere M

/ recently rescued John Deere M #1  

RitchElbe

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 / Jim Dandy
luck would have on a traffic detour I stumbled across a John Deere M 49 or 50?? Which my Pops has been wanting to get for 30 years. It was hiding amongst
a few Allis Charms.. the owner was not a "Green" man has he said..but the M came with a lot of AC's! Now it's all mine after a .5 mile test drive and short plow
test with a 2 bottom. That said.. is there any normal issues I should keep an eye out for. Tires/Brakes/Fluids/seals& gaskets all look ok.. I'm also looking to
fetch a reversible turn over plow.. I have a good garden plot but the edge area limits my travel so one of those would make life a lil easier then driving all the
way around. ABUIABACGAAgovvWtAUo1OrO0AIwoAY42AQ!400x400.jpg

/ recently rescued John Deere M #2  
Friend of mine who had an M died about a year ago. Haven't ever asked his widow what she's done with it, if anything. He gave me the old soil ripper from it years ago.

Here in central Va. Need me to ask about it?

Ralph

/ recently rescued John Deere M #3  
They were good small tractors.. similar to the '58 420 I used to have, and wish I'd kept it.

I'd consider going to a 12v system, which I never did but often considered it. I added a push button to trigger a solenoid for starter engagement, rather than the mechanical one.

Enjoy your new "find".

We'd like some pics, if you would.

/ recently rescued John Deere M
Will upload pics when I get her home. For now sticking with the pull start.. it fires up on one rotation..thus its working not messing with it

not that I know off. Unless they had a roll over plow

/ recently rescued John Deere M #6  
Looking forward to pics...hint...hint. ;)

OK Sod Busters! Got her home..I have pics that I emailed to myself .But gmail has locked my account to due to high usage??? will post hopefully tomorrow.
In the mean time, I want to change the oil ASAP, What's in it now looks greyish like anti seize. Fire up and runs good ( only to load on the trailer ) I have it
draining now and flushing 30w thru to while the other is hot to get all I can out. Then throwing in with a home made probe siphon to get any other out.
What oil is recommended. TOM says 10w to 20w..but I think it needs to be a non non detergent oil. Hope to hear back soon, long drive to town, would
like to get it this evening instead of driving back.. lol wishes wishes I know!