1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column.

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #1  

Nickahawk

Tractor
Kubota '2007 L4400, JD '1973 1020 3 cly gas/w FEL
My 1975 JD 1020 'gas' is leaking hydraulic fluid out the top of the steering column. It steers L and R with no problem but the leak out the top of the column is pretty bad, so I'm thinking it's a seal problem. My question......how hard or how much trouble is it to replace this seal assuming this is the problem. Will the entire steering unit need to be removed to repair or can the seal be changed from the top of the column?

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #2  
You can try to stop leak below steering wheel by replacing seal at the top of PS housing. I'm guesing you will end up having to disassemble & install a complete seal kit part # AT315816 . I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings but JD didn't build any 1020's in '75.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 533
   / 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #3  
That's the same unit my 2240 has. I tried rebuilding it with no success, but, mine had other issues. A bunch of the thin shims were broken. I ended up buying a new unit to the tune of about 850.
You will need a very long set of o-ring picks and a lot of patience.

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #4  
The 6 large o-rings will try ones patience when someone R&R's them. Getting new o-rings is correct locations is very tricky.

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column.
Thanks for the information on the hydraulic fluid leak. The fix on the steering column is most likely above my mechanic skills, so I will start looking for some experienced help. Thanks again for the input from both of you.

Also Tx Jim, tks for the clarification on the date mfg. Nice to know it's a 73 model. Now to change my info.

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #6  
Nick
Have you looked at the "Similar Threads" noted below these posts? May provide some pointers to you.

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #7  
Thanks for the information on the hydraulic fluid leak. The fix on the steering column is most likely above my mechanic skills, so I will start looking for some experienced help. Thanks again for the input from both of you.

Also Tx Jim, tks for the clarification on the date mfg. Nice to know it's a 73 model. Now to change my info.
My column started leaking. Guess another rebuild is on the way.

/ 1020 Hydraulic fluid leaking out the top of steering column. #8  
My 1975 JD 1020 'gas' is leaking hydraulic fluid out the top of the steering column. It steers L and R with no problem but the leak out the top of the column is pretty bad, so I'm thinking it's a seal problem. My question......how hard or how much trouble is it to replace this seal assuming this is the problem. Will the entire steering unit need to be removed to repair or can the seal be changed from the top of the column?
You ever get yours fixed? I did a top end only on mine this past weekend. I did it on the tractor. Took off steering wheel and the large nut. Then the inner nut. After that the steering valve assembly just screws out. It's a jack screw kind of thing. Took me about 2 hours to dig out the old seals and replace them. They were hard and brittle and came out in pieces. Getting the valve back in was a pain. I had to take a wood block and a good size hammer to drive the valve body past the new seals. Once you get it in far enough for the screw to start catching it's threads I had to use a large set of channel locks on the shaft with a rag wrapped around it to screw it back in. Screw, hammer, screw till it was in far enough to screw the retainer all the way down. Large nut back on, new seal on top, and steering wheel.
Problem solved. Hopefully it will last another ten years.