John Deere cyclone engine

/ John Deere cyclone engine #1  

KenPauling

Silver Member
Tractor
Now Holland TN 65D with Cab
I am looking to buy an old John Deere A tractor and restore it. I've heard that the standard "A" had about 20 HP, but some JD A tractors had "cyclone" engines which had over 30 HP. Is this true? How do you tell which JD A had the "cyclone" engines? Any info will help me. Thanks! Ken

/ John Deere cyclone engine #2  
   / John Deere cyclone engine #3  
Most A's were styled or unstyled(also known as flat faced). The styled series of tractors basically had more sheet metal around the gas tanks, radiator and such. Unstyled tractors had basically a one piece sheet metal hood that covered the top. On the styled tractors there were several types of frames offered through the years. I'm not sure on the exact dates, but most frames were cast frames, although in the later 40's early 50's they went to a press steel frame.

I have never heard of a Cyclone engine. There may have been a cyclone intake, but that probably would have happened during the 60 series or 620 series. Maybe even a 630. Those are the 3 models that the model A became. I believe either on the 60 or 620 they introduced the Roll-A-Matic front end that allowed for the front wheels to have some articulation in them. It wasn't really a suspension system, but it supposely made the front end ride a little smoother.

I helped my grandpa restore a styled model B. It had the cast frame. It had no electric start, so there was definitely some pulling on that flywheel to get it cranked. I think it was a transitional tractor though. The front wheels are spoked and the back wheels are solid cast and very heavy.

/ John Deere cyclone engine #4  
Deere's Cyclone engines were introduced for the 47 model year update, along with the change to pressed steel frames and the introduction of gasoline only engine options (as opposed to the previous all-fuel offerings). IIRC the basic idea behind development of the Cyclone engine was that adding "eyebrows" around the intake valves would cause the intake charge to swirl and lead to more thorough mixing of fuel and air, resulting in more complete combustion and therefore more power. Additionally, an increase in the compression ratio coincided with the introduction of gasoline only engines. I know the gas burners from 47 through the end of letter series production had the cyclone engine, but I don't remember if all-fuel models benefitted from cyclone technology or not. Cyclone engines do produce significantly more power than their non cyclone counterparts.

FWIW, Dad collects old tractors and currently has 22, some restored, many unrestored, but all are in operating/working condition. He has 2 A's, a 36 & 45 model, neither with the cyclone motor, and 2 B's -- 36 &51 models. The 51 B has a Cyclone motor, and I believe the Nebraska test data of the B with a Cyclone engine very close to the same hp as the A's without the Cyclone engine.

/ John Deere cyclone engine #5  
It would be interesting to see a photo of the "eyebrows" on the valves.

Can anyone share a photo?

/ John Deere cyclone engine #6  
I have a 1949 John Deere Model A farm tractor for sale. The Serial Number is 628118 and it has a cyclone engine, original paint, no dents, and all of the metal is straight.

thanks,

Larry from Bucks County, PA

/ John Deere cyclone engine #7  
It would be interesting to see a photo of the "eyebrows" on the valves.

Can anyone share a photo?

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND as it has several 2 cyl eyebrow photo's

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 268
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 428