jd 50 restoration

/ jd 50 restoration #1  

farmerjim

Gold Member
Tractor
jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe
i'm in the process of tearing down our old jd 50 for a motor job and restore. i've been reading some articles and still can't decide if i want to go conventional metal or aluminum on my pistons. seems the aluminum is what everyone is doing theses days. i will be having it bored out this time as it needs it. just wondering what some of the jd guys think about going to the aluminum pistons.

/ jd 50 restoration #2  
Mornin Jim,
Im hoping that you document your progress with photos. I have never done a JD and will be looking foward to your progress !

Thanks !

/ jd 50 restoration #3  
Is the crank on a 50 counter balanced like a modern engine? If no, go for the AL pistons because the reduced recriprocating weight should make it a little smoother. If the crank is balanced then lighter pistons could mess things up. Probably better find out what is available before you do anything.

/ jd 50 restoration
i posted this on a restoration site and also talked w/ my machine shop and they said aluminum is the way to go. so thats what we're going w/.

/ jd 50 restoration #5  
I can't comment on the restoration, but we had one on our farm when I was a kid. I loved that tractor. MAke sure to post some pictures for us when you get around to it!