vintage jd sickle mower

/ vintage jd sickle mower #1  

farmerjim

Gold Member
Tractor
jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe
i had a chance to grab an old jd sickle mower. its a jd#8w, which i think is the next step up from my dads jd#8, they look the same except that 8w has a longer pitman stick. anyway its a bit rough and needs some help, so thats my next restore project after we finish up the 50. it also came w/ a set up to run it on a 3 pt hitch as well as the drawbar. i'll post some picswhen i get a chance.

/ vintage jd sickle mower #2  
the "w" stands for "wide" as JD implements sometimes could be used by both narrow tread and wider tread tractors, hence the longer pitman arm. You will probably notice that the "shoe" sits out farther in order to ride behind the wider tread of an A or B....We had a Model 39N Sickle Mower...yeah, you guessed it, it was the "narrow" version, the other being the 39W...BobG in VA

/ vintage jd sickle mower #3  
TSC stocks individual blades, complete sickle assemblies and pitmans for it.
The belt should be an easy matchup at any NAPA store.
Original manuals are available on e-bay or from TBN members

If you are not familiar with a sickle mower, do NOT move the sickle bar one inch until someone shows you the safe way to do it. Do it wrong and you will lose a finger in less than a second. All this can happen with the tractor off. The sickle mower doesn't even have to be attached to the tractor to cut fingers off.