Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #1  

Tim M

Bronze Member
I have a dilema that I have discussed somewhat in a previous thread.

My main tasks are moving large landscape items using a combination of Dirt Works tree shovel and backhoe. My land has some pretty good slopes up to around 20% grade. After having tried a wheeled Bobcat and a few track loaders, I decided to go with a TLB and I still believe this is the best type of machine for my application.

About a month ago I bought my first tractor a CK30HST with a Woods LC102 FEL and BH80X backhoe. I had the rears and fronts filled for more stability. They appear to be very full since when I push the valve a bit with the wheel at the 12 o'clock position fluid comes out. I have been leaving the backhoe on because I go back and forth between the tree shoval and the backhoe quite a bit. This gives me a total weight of ~6000 lbs.

The tree shoval is best operated using a combination of FEL lift/curl and tractor power pusing the shovel into the soil underneath the tree/shrub. The weight is a good thing. However, the CK30 seems underpowered. With the tractor in low range when operating the tree shovel it is easy to bogg the engine down as I am digging under a tree. I also noticed that getting back up some of my slopes requires low range. I cannot do anything in high range except go down a slope.

After almost 20 hours on the machine I can say that I like it, but clearly there are situations where it is "engine power" limited. The CK35(34 HP) has 13.3% more horsepower. Would this make a noticeable difference? The difference in cost is about $1200. Is this worth pursuing with my dealer or am I expecting too much out this class of tractor? I haven't approached my dealer with this yet, but I am guessing if I am going to upgrade now is the time to do it before I rack up a bunch of hours.

A few more points:

I know I am operating the HST correctly (just lightly pushing the pedal).

I need the CK's manurverability so I cannot go to a bigger chassis.

when I remove the backhoe(~1000 lbs) I can spin the tires, but I have not been able to with the backhoe on.

As an interesting data point the kubota L35 weighs in around 6700 lbs and of course is driven by a 35 HP engine but has GST transmission. This was replaced by the L39 (same weight).

All input appreciated.

Thanks,

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #2  
I'd say you need more than just the 13% extra horsepower you'd get with a CK35. You don't mention specifically what RPM you are operating at when your engine bogs down but I'll assume it is 2500 or above. If so you just need either a bigger tractor or a more powerful loader to operate that tree shovel.

Using a tree shovel seems to require both tractor push and loader breakout capacity. The CK30 in low range at full RPM would seem to have quite a lot of push capability. You already have the best/most powerful loader available for the CK class so you would not be able to get any more loader capacity by moving to a CK35.

Another consideration is what type of tree shovel you are using. Some of them are poorly designed and trap dirt which makes it very hard to push under the tree. I don't know for sure but I believe the dirt works tree shovel is one of the type that tends to trap dirt as you push it in. I believe the rounded type or flat models that have very low side walls are felt to spill dirt rather than compress it as you push in.

Except for your concern about overall tractor size I'd suggest you try out a new DK40se or 45se with the KL401 loader. Lots more umph than the CK loaders and 25-35% more HP too.

The Kubota GL series is midway between the CK30 and the Kioti DK series in frame size so you could also consider a GL3940 or more powerful Kubota as well.

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #3  
Hello Tim, would your dealer let you test your tree shovel on either the ck35 or the dk40 to see if they will meet your needs? If you have to stay in the ck frame size perhaps the shuttle ck35 would be the ticket.. Good luck

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #4  
The CK35 may not be your best choice, because you need more tractor, BUT it will be the cheapest thing to do.
With all of your attachments fitting the 35, all you would be trading in would be the tractor.
Otherwise you are going to take an even bigger hit moving to the DK series.
With your machine being so new, it's gonna hurt either way, one will just hurt less.
Do you HAVE to have your wheel ballast? If not I would try not using it.
Also what type of tires are you using?
The R-4's give a better power to ground ratio than the Ag tires.
BTI

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35
Thanks for the input.

IslandTractor: Yes, I was up around 2500-2600 rpms. I do have the Woods LC102 with Q/A and the Dirt Works tree shovel does have rounded edges and comes to a point. Digs in pretty good. I did test drive a kubota GL3240 nice, but definitely too big.

albmn10: He did not have a CK35 for me to try. The tree shovel is a quick attach so the only thing I could find to test drive with a quick attach was a Kubota B26 and the GL3240. The B26 was just too small. The whole frame just lifted right up. Based on this I concentrated more on tractor weight in a relatively compact package and that's how I ended up with the CK30/Woods with filled tires.

BTI: I've got R4's and with the backhoe on these things really grab.

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #6  
I can't imagine you'd really notice he HP difference. You simply added so much weight to the tractor thats its feeling slugish. Thats really quite normal. Maybe try letting some of the fluid out of the tires. The weight of the backhoe set far behind the tractor is whats really going to help for traction, does not sound like you should need the fluid as well.

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #7  
If you can find one close look at the DK35SE....it's 38 hP, would accept your backhoe with a change in sub frames. It also has an increased hydraulic flow over the old DK35 and a 12 speed shuttle shift.

Very nice tractor in its class and not much more than a CK35.

/ Considering upgrade from CK30 to CK35 #8  
Tim, your location isn't filled in, whereabouts are ya? Dibs on your 30 if you upgrade! ;-)

/Curt