Buying Advice Would like opinions & advice

/ Would like opinions & advice #1  

VT Vince

I plan on purchasing one of these bad boys (ck25-standard) this weekend. So i'm asking the members to share any opinions and advice on attachments, which would be very helpful to someone who is going to own a tractor for the first time. What is a reasonable price for 5' brush hog with clutch. I'll be buying other attachments as the need arises, therefore your experience with various attachments would be helpful.
Thanks and happy to be a member of this group.
Retired in VT and loving it!

/ Would like opinions & advice #2  
Toothbar
extra pins of all sorts you'll be losing

After that
back hoe
box blade
brush hog

/ Would like opinions & advice #3  
How much property do you have?
What's the terrain like?
Get a lot of snow?
Plant a lot or have fields to clear?
How big is you real lawn?
Have a big woodlot?
etc, etc.

The more we know, the better we can advise.

/ Would like opinions & advice
Thanks rcrcomputing & kentrodngym. I hear you about the pins, never enough
for sure. I own 15 acres of which 95% is ( hilly) woods. I also have a 1,ooo ft driveway to plow which I intend to buy this fall. Snow? how's 125 inches of snow this winter sound. I do have a 12hp wheelhorse with cutter to take care of what little grass I have. Thats all it's good enough for on this property
hence the new tractor. The bush hog will be used on my son's property. I'll save him at least $500 a year. I'm also going to buy a rake to keep the driveway groomed. Don't know yet if I'll need anything to drag out dead trees for firewood.
Another question....do men really admit they make mistakes?

/ Would like opinions & advice #5  
Welcome to TBN Vince.
125" of snow makes me think snowblower.
Do men admit they make mistakes? Only if it relates to buying a better toy.

/ Would like opinions & advice #6  
VT Vince said:
Another question....do men really admit they make mistakes?

Sure, when I make one I will let you know:)

Other than bucket hooks, I don't know what to tell you. Honestly, I would buy the attachments from a bargain or equipment circular, or auctions. A rake, if not in terrible condition, is just as useful new as it is when it is in a used condition. used brush hog depending on condition can be anywhere from 250-700, depending on other bidders and for some reason the color it is painted (in my area if they are painted green people tend to pay more for them). I'm not saying not to support your dealer, I call mine regularly to see what used equipment he has gotten in.
It will take time to find good items at decent prices (or luck). I have been looking for used QA pallet forks for my tractor for about 7 months now. I have found alot for sale, but I have a set price and condition in my mind. If you have unlimited financial resources, then by all means get brand new stuff. If not, make what you have work for you. Countless threads on this site will help you use attachments in ways you never thought of.

my experience is that buying used equipment in spring means you will pay more than if you bought it in the winter.

good luck.

/ Would like opinions & advice #7  
A wise man once told me (Kioti John) that the most useful attachment would be a box blade.

I was able to call my dealer and have it delivered with the tractor.

I use it for everything, grading the driveway, leveling the riding ring.

Works great as a counterweight too!

/ Would like opinions & advice
Can't thank you guys enough for the imput. I have an 8AM appointment
with the dealer tomorrow. Make no mistake (pun) about it, I know i'm buying the right toy. Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you and naturally, there will be more questions.
I guess if I keep the orange side up, I'll be OK.

/ Would like opinions & advice #9  
You are going to like that ck25. Of course you will get a FEL and leave it on all year. That is unless you decide on a front end snow blower. On the other hand, you could be like me and save about $2000, leave the FEL on and drive backwards when you blow snow with a three point hitch (rear) blower. And it's sure fun in the Spriing to drive out from under that rear blower and hook up the plumbing next to a backhoe to dig some stumps out. Just to reaffirm that you're choosing the right tractor, grab ahold of the fender on that CK25 and give it a wiggle. Solid isn't it? If that didn't do it for you then try opening the hood and check out Kioti's workmanship and design.

Welcome aboard Vince.

rimshot

/ Would like opinions & advice #10  
Vince, the best way to learn anything is by screwing it up at least once or at least talking with someone who screwed it up previously. No shame in that from my prospective. It's served me well for many years. Heck, I even cry once in a while - especially when I hit my thumb with the mini-sledge ;).

OK, so my 2 cents based on your answer is box blade (for leveling, distributing gravel, ripping up virgin ground, etc.) and rear blade (for snow) used in conjunction with your FEL.

A toothbar is on my short list of items to buy, but I've been getting along ok so far without it. Many on TBN swear by it and they've convinced me to get one sometime soon.

SnowBlower has always intrigued me but I've read on the various TBN forums that it's application can be rather spotty. Sometimes a PITA, doesn't work well with certain types of snow, etc. I read enough to make me think twice before pulling the trigger on that one (the near $2k price doesn't help either). If I got a real buy? Maybe.

Other attachments depend on your needs. Putting up tons of fence posts and planting a lot? Then a post hole digger can be worth it's weight in gold. Same with many other attachments.

I'm not a big backhoe fan for a number of reasons. I tend to switch a lot of attachments. PHD, Rotary Mower, Chipper, Back Blade, Box Blade, Rear Forks etc. I'd have to remove the backhoe to change over to anything. Too much for this old back :(. My particular solution was to buy an old Ditch Witch backhoe / trencher and have an exclusive backhoe to use whenever I want. Works for me.

Last thought - have a tool box on the tractor filled with extra pins, a hammer, pin punch, some adjustable wrenches, etc. Nothing beats breaking down or losing a pin without any tools on board and then having to trek across your acreage back to the house / garage. Don't forget to install a drink holder too ;). Enjoy that new machine, be safe and don't forget to post some new pics of the "baby".