Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #1  

Cyberroc

Silver Member
Tractor
20th Anniversary Edition KIOTI CK35 Synchro Shuttle | KL130P FEL | KB2475 BH
I am looking at either getting the CK20 or CK35 (free loader makes it possible) and for the life of me I cannot seem to reason which way to go with it only being a $900 difference. Before you say "Hydro at that cost" I am trying to get what is right for what I will be doing.

So what I (and I am sure many others) could really use is a list (if one exists or if we can create one) of which transmission is best for each implement or attachment.

I have heard about FEL is better worked with Hydro and if performing more BH work that I would want gears. So what about the others? Mowing (rear/belly), tiller, brush hog, front plow, back plow, box plow, post hole digger, rakes, and any others?

Anyone think they know them all? I would love to hear what everyone thinks as it would help, us that need, to make the decision a little easier.

I am starting with FEL, BH, possibly a mower, plows, and a tiller as well. I expect a normal year to have BH work, FEL projects and toping it off with plowing snow, tiller work, and Mowing. However a list would allow me and others to go with which ever I would use most. I know this will change with more projects that I will get into as I time goes by, however I feel that it will still help to know before the purchase.

If there are differences on the CK20 and CK35 in regards to Gear vs Hydro, please let me know. I tried to find this out, however have not been successful. For example I know the CK20's PTO is live with Hydro when the clutch is pushed, however with gears it stops when the clutch is pushed in. Is this the same on the CK35? And which attachment/impliments would bennifit from having the PTO live?

Thanks for any assistance and sorry for all the questions. I am learning and can't say enough good things about everyone here at TBN, you are the ones making my purchase decisions much easier.

TBN MEMBERS ROCK!!!!

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #2  
I have a CK20 (S) with hydro with a FEL and also backhoe. You didn't mention a snow blower but living in Michigan I would assume you would consider one at some point. Yes, the pto continues to turn the snow blower when the clutch is in and I would think that is good because if you apply the clutch and are in heavy snow at the same time the blower can still clear. Seems to me that is a good feature for those with snow to deal with. The CK20 has proven to be a solid and compact little tractor with very powerful hydraulics when matched with others close to its class and to me the little 22 hp diesel is an economicly inexpensive engine to run and maintain in these times of high fuel costs.

rimshot

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #3  
Simply put - gears deliver power to the wheels (ground engaging) more efficiently than hydro. So for functions like plowing (snow or dirt) gears have an advantage. Tasks that require frequent forward/reverse - like plowing snow in my driveway, using loader, mowing in tight quarters, etc - hydro makes the task faster and easier. Backhoe use would be virtually identical gear or hydro since tractor is stationary. Using the tractor for tasks like mowing a pasture - gear has slight advantage. For me, hydro was the only way to go - but you may do different tasks.
Mike

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed
So it's sounding like it may not be so much of a Transmission to Impliment/Attachment question, but more of a type of work with enviornmental factors?

For example Mowing, if mowing in tight areas then Hydro would be the way to go, however if mowing, let's say 4 acres with mostly long passes, then gears may workout better.

Good to know. Does anyone know if all tractors with Gears loose PTO when the clutch is pushed?

Thanks agian

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #5  
Cyberroc said:
Good to know. Does anyone know if all tractors with Gears lose PTO when the clutch is pushed?

Thanks again
I have a gear LK3054. When I depress the clutch, the PTO continues to run and I can shift gears. To stop the PTO, I have to depress the clutch very far down (like I'm standing on it). Don't know if this applies to all makes & models but this is how mine works.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #6  
kentrodngun said:
I have a gear LK3054. When I depress the clutch, the PTO continues to run and I can shift gears. To stop the PTO, I have to depress the clutch very far down (like I'm standing on it). Don't know if this applies to all makes & models but this is how mine works.

This is how mine works too. It's called a 2 stage clutch, and in order to engage the pto, you must put the clutch to the floor. Once you engage the pto, I come halfway up with the clutch until it's spinning, then put it in gear and let her rip. I also have the shuttle shift on my tractor, which makes going from forward to reverse almost as easy as an HST tractor. I do a lot of mowing with mine, plus a bunch of FEL work. I prefer the gear model for what I do, with the plus of not loosing as much PTO horsepower as the HST models do....

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #7  
Hydro/Gear choice for the most part is related to how you are going to use the tractor. I prefer Gear, but I bought Hydro. I am enjoying the fine control I get with the Hydro for the FEL and rear blade work I do, and I have a bad left knee which rules out much clutch work.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #8  
kongs3510 said:
I also have the shuttle shift on my tractor, which makes going from forward to reverse almost as easy as an HST tractor. I do a lot of mowing with mine, plus a bunch of FEL work. I prefer the gear model for what I do, with the plus of not losing as much PTO horsepower as the HST models do....
I have the shuttle shift too. I mow a lot (20+ acres). I use the FEL, rear and box blades and never have found shifting to be an issue. However, I grew up with standard transmissions in my cars, so the idea of shifting is pretty natural. Also, I use my machine with some frequency so I'm familiar with it's operation - it's more like second nature.

Years ago when I didn't have the farm, I mowed only about 1/2 acre of lawn and I owned various rider mowers. The favorite was my 16hp Wheelhorse with the hydro shift. Made going up & down hills a breeze and allowed "shifting" on the fly. It was perfect for doing that small parcel of land because I had to make quick adjustments and the hydro did a great job. Working on my current large parcel, I have plenty of time to shift and prefer the gear for its superior ground engaging capability and precise gear selection when in those nasty situations involving mud & water. Just my opinion though.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #9  
Cyberroc said:
Does anyone know if all tractors with Gears loose PTO when the clutch is pushed?

No live PTO- PTO turns off when clutch is pushed in.

Live PTO with 2 stage clutch.- PTO continues to run if clutch is pushed in half way, PTO will turn off of clutch is pushed in all the way.

Independant PTO- When PTO is turned on it continues to run regardless of clutch in or out.

/ Gear or Hydro Implement/Attachment List needed #10  
I have the ck20 Hydro with backhoe, bush hog, scraper blade, loader with toothbar, three point wood splitter and a box blade shortly. I have used gear tractors and I am sure they have there strong points,, I just know I will never have one. Hydro is so much faster all around. I really like it alot,, just my two cents, but I will never own a gear tractor,,, good luck