DK35SE HST question, rear remote

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #1  

Sandtiger

Tractor
Ford 8n
Hi,

I am considering buying the DK35SE tractor. The cost delta between "shuttle shift" and HST is significant. I like the idea of HST, but am confused about how it works. When I start out, it seems to shudder/miss until you get to speed, then runs fine. It isn't the engine, it seems to be how the HST works (soft start? wrong range?). Is this normal, something I will get accustomed to? My background is using a Ford 8n, so gear doesn't scare me, but I would like HST for the kids and FEL/Boxblade work (1/2 mile dirt road).

Also, I don't quite understand how the single rear remote works (is it controlled, or just an outlet), whether a single remote by itself is worthwhile, and if it is necessary to buy a second rear remote. I guess in an ideal world I would love a box blade which I could tip/tilt and change the angle automagically.

I apologize if this is incoherent, it's just my normal state of mind :D

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #2  
I have a three week old DK35SE HST and have no issues with it shuddering. Maybe it was just the unit you were driving needs some adjustment. The HST is great and I definitely have zero regrets in paying the extra money for it. My reasoning behind it was all the extra shifting requirements with the shuttle. You have a main gear, clutch, shifter (reverse and forward), peddle throttle, plus main throttle. Seemed like a lot of variables when the HST only has a main gear selector, throttle, and peddle. Plus it shifted sooo nice!

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #3  
Sandtiger said:
Hi,

I am considering buying the DK35SE tractor. The cost delta between "shuttle shift" and HST is significant. I like the idea of HST, but am confused about how it works. When I start out, it seems to shudder/miss until you get to speed, then runs fine. It isn't the engine, it seems to be how the HST works (soft start? wrong range?). Is this normal, something I will get accustomed to? My background is using a Ford 8n, so gear doesn't scare me, but I would like HST for the kids and FEL/Boxblade work (1/2 mile dirt road).
Did you just stomp on the go pedal? Or did you ease into it? What gear where you in? I find in L or M it is smooth, but if I try to accel too quickly in H... then start off is not too smooth.
Sandtiger said:
Also, I don't quite understand how the single rear remote works (is it controlled, or just an outlet), whether a single remote by itself is worthwhile, and if it is necessary to buy a second rear remote. I guess in an ideal world I would love a box blade which I could tip/tilt and change the angle automagically.
Depends on how it is plumbed. Was there a loop of tubing on the remotes or where they cap'ed off. I suspect if there was a loop, then it is just hydraulic outlets for the Backhoe. If they were cap'ed off, then there is a control valve (typically to the right of the seat) that will control the on/off and the direction of the flow of the fluid through the connectors... then you can use it to drive a Backhoe or to a top or tilt on a 3pt attachment. You will need a second remote if you want to control both top and tilt hydraulicly.
Sandtiger said:
I apologize if this is incoherent, it's just my normal state of mind :D
Then you fit in with the rest of us here just fine. :D

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #4  
The HST works best with the engine RPM at at least 2000 rpm. This assures the charge pump in the hydrostat unit will supply the necesary charge pressure to the unit. This assures smooth operation.

The rear remotes are accuated by a lever in the operators area. The lever detents in both positions, allowing hydraulic flow in both direction. The caution with the rear remotes on the DK series is that you should never move the lever with nothing plugged into the rear remotes. You will dead head the hydraulic system if you do. A simple pig-tail plugged into the rear remotes when you don't have an implement attached is a god safety device.

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote
IXLR8 said:
Did you just stomp on the go pedal? Or did you ease into it? What gear where you in? I find in L or M it is smooth, but if I try to accel too quickly in H... then start off is not too smooth.

I think it was on "M", however, I could definitely see me being a lead foot. This is a really good point, with me not having a clue about HST. With your response and woodyacres, it makes me feel much less antsy about putting up the money for HST.

IXLR8 said:
Depends on how it is plumbed. Was there a loop of tubing on the remotes or where they cap'ed off. I suspect if there was a loop, then it is just hydraulic outlets for the Backhoe. If they were cap'ed off, then there is a control valve (typically to the right of the seat) that will control the on/off and the direction of the flow of the fluid through the connectors... then you can use it to drive a Backhoe or to a top or tilt on a 3pt attachment. You will need a second remote if you want to control both top and tilt hydraulicly.
The are cap'ed off, so I guess there is a switch. Oh, I just saw MichiganIron's response, so that makes sense. The bottom line is, for every function you want, you need a remote. So, I guess I'll look into getting a second remote. Hope it's not too much more. SWMBO isn't too keen on spending this much money, given the economy.

IXLR8 said:
Then you fit in with the rest of us here just fine. :D
Ha, kindred spirits.

Finally, a follow-up question. I have seen much discussion about tillers and HST. Is the HST not suited for this type of work, and should I just stick with the 8n for it?

I really do appreciate the help/responses.

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #6  
Sandtiger said:
The are cap'ed off, so I guess there is a switch. Oh, I just saw MichiganIron's response, so that makes sense. The bottom line is, for every function you want, you need a remote. So, I guess I'll look into getting a second remote. Hope it's not too much more. SWMBO isn't too keen on spending this much money, given the economy.
Yes, one remote per function, I think I paid $350.00 for the second remote, my dealer said he would not charge me labor to install since it was being added before delivery.

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #7  
HST is perfect for tilling you can adjust your ground speed while keeping your tiller at max PTO speed

/ DK35SE HST question, rear remote #8  
It should be ok; I think they were referring to ground engagement work. On a smaller area I have heard tilling would be fine, if you are talking about acres of hard ground and deep tilling, the HST may overheat during extended ground engagement work.

I was looking at the same and was told it should be ok if I was not engaging really deep or in really rough ground, however I did end up with gear as I may have a need later on for heaver ground engagement work and did not want to worry about it.

Good Luck! And thanks for the reminder that I need to get with Michigan Iron about possibly putting in a second remote for me. Guess I will stop in on my way home from work... :D