HST or NOT ?

/ HST or NOT ? #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Hi Everyone I'm new to this site. I'm located in Newfoundland, Canada
I have a question that I'm sure someone would be able to help me with.
I'm thinking about buying a Kioti tractor for the main use of snow clearing.

I have a 500 ft driveway & also have two small parking lots that I do for others.
I have been using my GMC 4x4 pick up for the past 13 yrs to do all three lots with and it's worked very well but I thought a small tractor would help me control where I placed the snow so that's where I am so far.
The two model tractors that I'm considering are DK45S or DK45SE HST.
My question is this, For snow removal is it better to have HST or Not?

Dealer informs me the HST system not good for snow clearing because he says it would be better shifting gears manually as opposed to having the HST machine shift for you. I would think it would be the opposite. I could see it if I were plowing a field and working the machine under a load but for snow clearing I would have thought the HST would work great but I stand to be corrected on my way of thinking.

I haven't priced the HST model yet but the DK45S sells for $38'000 plus tax with loader. In Canada all manufactures also require a 25% down payment which I though strange but everyone around here selling these tractors require the same down payment. Your thoughts on both units would be greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing from you all. Great site! Cheers, Paul

/ HST or NOT ? #2  
4shorts said:
Hi Everyone I'm new to this site. I'm located in Newfoundland, Canada
I have a question that I'm sure someone would be able to help me with.
I'm thinking about buying a Kioti tractor for the main use of snow clearing.

I have a 500 ft driveway & also have two small parking lots that I do for others.
I have been using my GMC 4x4 pick up for the past 13 yrs to do all three lots with and it's worked very well but I thought a small tractor would help me control where I placed the snow so that's where I am so far.
The two model tractors that I'm considering are DK45S or DK45SE HST.
My question is this, For snow removal is it better to have HST or Not?

Dealer informs me the HST system not good for snow clearing because he says it would be better shifting gears manually as opposed to having the HST machine shift for you. I would think it would be the opposite. I could see it if I were plowing a field and working the machine under a load but for snow clearing I would have thought the HST would work great but I stand to be corrected on my way of thinking.

I haven't priced the HST model yet but the DK45S sells for $38'000 plus tax with loader. In Canada all manufactures also require a 25% down payment which I though strange but everyone around here selling these tractors require the same down payment. Your thoughts on both units would be greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing from you all. Great site! Cheers, Paul

I like the HST because, I feel it gives more finesse control for repetitive functions, forward and backward movement in a restricted area likely to be encountered in snow removal. The Dealer is pushing gear because this is probably what he has on the lot at this time. I think you need to drive both a gear and a HST and simulate the intended movements during snow removal before finalizing your purchase. Once purchased, "It's Yours?

/ HST or NOT ? #3  
HST will work better for you. Though, I don't think you need that much tractor. A smaller one would might work better in the parking lots. Get A QA loader. Then you can put a plow on the front and blower on the back, or visa versa.

/ HST or NOT ? #4  
Paul,
If you do a quick search of this site, you will find years worth of (sometimes heated) debates on the merits of hydro versus gear drives.

Both have their theoretical weaknesses. Hydro doesn't like too much driveline heat or gunked up filters. Gear doesn't like clutch abuse. But for any owner with half a brain and a little maintenance, they should both last many years.

In your specific case I heard:

• Snow removal is primary task
  • Relatively new to tractoring
In my opinion, this seems like a clear cut case for HST. It is an intuitive system with a high tolerance for repetitive forward/reverse cycles.

/ HST or NOT ? #6  
Go with the HST you won't regret it. For going back and forth for snow removal with a gear drive, just think how many times you will have to push the cluch in and then select a gear. At least have shuttle shift if you go with a gear drive.

/ HST or NOT ? #7  
4shorts said:
Dealer informs me the HST system not good for snow clearing because he says it would be better shifting gears manually as opposed to having the HST machine shift for you.

I'd flat out ask him why? I'll go on record and say that until he gives you a reason and even then I'd probably tell him to go jump out of an window.

/ HST or NOT ?
Thanks guys. Some great views here and I'm taking it all in. As for maintenance. Well we operate our owe repair shop here so that's not a problem and I understand they all need maintenance.

As for actual tractor time I don't have much accumulated. That's in farm tractors. I used to operate heavy equipment and accumulated over 20.000 hours doing so. I just can't imagine having to shift gears each time I go to move the beast.

With the prices of these things now I wonder if I'm not better of looking for a good 4X4 backhoe. I'l keep watching here to see what everyone has to say and I'll be heading in to have a little chat with the salesman and I'll let you know what he has to say. Thanks for your input. Paul

/ HST or NOT ? #9  
I recently had to make the same decision. I was looking at getting my first tractor.

The gear tractor was cheaper, and I have been driving manual transmission vehicles for over 40 years, so I was confident I could cope with a gear tractor. However, I bought the HST because the dealer convinced me it would be easier to operate a loader with HST. The tractor I bought has a cruise control, so the advantage a gear tractor may have in the extensive mowing I do was negated. I also was told the HST would be easier to resell, and most likley fetch a better resale value.

The tractor came with a loader, and I bought a rear blade (for grading and snow removal), a post hole digger with 9" auger, an a Howse 5" rotary mower with slip clutch. I only used the loader (only to carry stuff around the lot) and the rotary cutter so far. As a novice, I found I have to concentrate on making sure I don't clip trees with the loader (yes, I know I could take it off!), and I found a surprising number of places where I had to go in and back up while mowing or using the loader - I am sure glad I bought the HST now, as I could concentrate on the job at hand without even thinking of changing gears, clutching, etc!

If I lived on a open lot with few or no trees and snow, I might have gone for the gear tractor... but with 9 acres, 4 of which are very heavily treed, and a 1200 feet driveway I will have to clear of snow, I am sure glad I bought the HST.

JLC in colorado
Kioti CK35 HST

/ HST or NOT ? #10  
I have personally moved many tons of snow with both gear drive and a hydro drive tractor when we lived in MI for 11 years. Hands down the hydro is the one I prefer because of the quick cycling from forward to reverse. After pushing the clutch in a few hundred times a day my knee was on fire when I'd use the gear tractor. When using the hydro in extremely cold weather the sythetic hy-tran fluid worked better than the cheaper organic based oils. The synthetic would flow better, was less jerky, and I wouldn't have to wait as long to warm up the machine.