Buying Advice Need advice on tractor selection

/ Need advice on tractor selection #1  

kartracer

I bought 10 acres that range from fairly flat to rolling hills.My house is being built on a 1.5 acre plot that is pretty much flat.I've been trying to find a tractor that I could do some landscaping,mowing,scraping a gravel drive,etc..

The closest dealer sells mf and kioti.I really like the kioti.What size would fit me the best.The dealer has quotes 11,999 for the ck 20 w/fel or 15,999 for the ck35 w/fel.

About 7 acres are pasture and would be cut once in awhile,but I let the neighbors cows on there too.I'm worried the 20 may be too small,but the 35 too big.I kinda feel like I would get more use out of the 20,but the work may not go as fast-which doesn't bother me.Thanks, for any insight. Joe

/ Need advice on tractor selection #2  
My two cents is to go with the CK35. The 20 is a brute for it's size, but might be a bit small for your parcel. Better to be overpowered and have the excess capacity than be underpowered and wish you bought bigger. I'd think the 35 would also have a larger resale market too (not that you'll ever sell it).

I could go on about all the implement size advantages, additional gears / speeds available on the 35, etc. but I'll let all the other guys weigh in.

/ Need advice on tractor selection #3  
The CK 35 should be a good size/fit for 10 acres.

/ Need advice on tractor selection #4  
Tough question. I agree things would obviously go faster with the CK35 and if you were regularly mowing those big fields that is what I'd choose. However, if you are just mowing once or twice a year to keep brush under control then the CK20 with a 4ft bush hog would handle that just fine.

/ Need advice on tractor selection #5  
I don't think you would ever be upset buying too much tractor. You will find you will have a number of other projects you "need" a tractor to do. I borrow my father in laws DK 45 when I need it and sometimes think it works too slow.

/ Need advice on tractor selection #6  
I'd go CK35 plus a lawn tractor for around the house. But, the CK20 would be a better choice if only wanting a single machine to do it all. The CK35 is heavy and will leave ruts in your yard if you have ground that gets soft.

/ Need advice on tractor selection #7  
I have 11 acres with about 2.5 around the house. I got a CK30 for all the backyard stuff and a lawn tractor for around the house. The CK30 weighs too much to use early in the spring on the lawn, but the weight is good when I use the FEL. I can't imagine moving all the dirt I have with a lighter tractor, and I can use a 6' finish mower for the back field and trails. The size of the tractor is good when we get a good snow also. Not sure where you are, if you have to worry about snow or not.