Cold weather start

/ Cold weather start #11  
I am a newbie to diesel but mine has started right up whenever I have tried, even below -20. Any tips on managing or using the glow plugs that I should know so I don't do anythng dumb?

Hey Egon, I can hear the "erugah" noise - perfect description!

/ Cold weather start #12  
just cycle your glow plugs a couple or three times and it should fire right up jimmy and be sure to let it run awhile to warm up before you try to run the tractor, I usually let it idle for about five minutes , engage the pto and let it spin for about 10 minutes to warm up the hydro and cycle the loader and 3 pt a few times. works for me. Gary

/ Cold weather start #13  
Thanks a lot. I have been guilty of not letting it warm up long enough. What RPM's would you warm up at?

/ Cold weather start #14  
Thanks a lot. I have been guilty of not letting it warm up long enough. What RPM's would you warm up at?

When it's real cold I let it run for the first few minutes at 1500 with the clutch depressed.

Then start slowly raising and lowering the 3 point. Another few minutes I'll release the clutch holder and start raising and lowering the loader. Again slowly to let the fluid warm up some before having to do any real work.

I might start driving within the first 8 minutes, but just taking it easy until the water temp at least starts moving.

I think that a few minutes of easy warm up will pay dividends in longevity.

/ Cold weather start #15  
Someone posted a chargt that showed warm up time vs. temperature. If I remember right, it recommended like 15 minutes if at or about freezing. Up to a half hour if below 20 F.

I let mine run for at least 15 minutes at or below freezing and the temp gauge still barely registers.

Carefull moving hydraulics until it warms some. I've read stories where guys have blown out there hydraulic cooler seals by doing it when cold.

/ Cold weather start #16  
The warm up issue is one reason I use a block heater. Starts instantly and takes less time than to get engine temp up. Well worth the $50 is cost

/ Cold weather start #17  
Jimmy I usually let mine idle for around 5 min. then I engage the pto's at an idle then speed up to around 1000 for the next approx. 10 min. and everything works great if I dont' warm it up like that my hydralic chute on the blower will only turn one way and I'm sure it's a lot better for the hydrostat. Gary