Shut tractor down or let it idle?

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #1  

warhammer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
I am working on building a fence and am doing wood corner and line reinforcing posts. The tractor is idling a large percentage of the time when not running the post hole digger.
How long will you let a tractor idle before shutting it down while working on the between tractor parts of jobs?

Warhammer

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #2  
If I'm off the tractor for more than 5 minutes I shut it down. I will generally let the tractor idle and spin down for a few minutes anyway before shutting it down.

Between fuel savings and general safety issues with a running tractor not manned it works for me.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #3  
I try hard to remember to shut it down if I dismount for any reason.

It is a safety issue that I thought through a while ago. I might wear out the starter faster. I might need a new battery a year or two earlier. I won't get run over by the tractor.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #4  
What kind of engine is it?
Turbo, id idle it down for 5 + mins before shutting it off.
Non-Turbo, idle for a minute or so before shutting down.

Depending on how long between uses, i probably wouldnt bother shutting it down at all. Idleing the engine wont put any noticeable wear on the engine relative to frequent stops and starts. Diesels can take MANY hours without problems.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #5  
Unless it will be more than 10 minutes or so of idling, I leave it running. Every time you shut off the engine, the oil all seeps down to the oil pan. Then you start it and it runs dry for a second or so until the oil pressure builds.

Many people have different opinions, but constantly starting and stopping your diesel engine is worse then leaving it idle. IMO ;)

For example, long haul truckers leave their trucks running for days or weeks at a time running at day and idling all night. Those engines go 1-2 million miles before rebuild. On the other hand UPS has a fleet of diesel trucks and for safety the drivers have to shut off the truck and lock it up at every stop. Those trucks get replaced or rebuilt every year some with less than 100,000 miles. This may not be apples to apples but you get my point.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #6  
Short periods I leave it run.
longer periods i shut it off.
For instance I woudn't leave it running and go into the house for a coffee break.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #7  
I never had a hard and fast rule, but basically, I'd shut mine down if I were going to get off for more than 2 or 3 minutes. But I had a neighbor friend in the hay business who frequently worked alone baling hay. He would use two John Deere tractors (hundred horsepower range); one with the rake and one with the baler. He'd rake awhile, then bale, then rake again, and then bale again. But since it's hot in Texas in the Summer and he had 3 air-conditioned cab tractors, he wouldn't shut either of those two down all day. The one not in use would be left idling so the air-conditioner would keep the cab cool.:D

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #8  
Well here in Quebec we have an 'idle law' !

A fine is levied if you idle more than 15 mins.
This law does not apply to police, emercency vehicles and public works vehicles.
Not a cash grab as it is for the environment protection. (anti smog).

But do not inhale when you pass dunkin donuts parking lots.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #9  
I leave mine running especially this time of year. Once we start any piece of equipment in the am, it stays running until it's backed into the garage. Especially the plow trucks.

Today it was 10-15 degrees and we were moving snow and shoveling roofs, tractor stayed running once we got it to the job site and needed it from time to time. Rather leave it running than start and stop and pollute the oil with diesel each time it's started.

It's all personal preference, but if you're running it for yourself on your own project than do whatever you're comfortable with.

/ Shut tractor down or let it idle? #10  
I tend to leave mine running, like when cutting and moving trees and the like. I am of the opinion there is less wear and tear leaving the machine running than shutting down and starting up, particularly in the winter. In the summer I'm more likely to shut down, but even then I leave it running more often than stopping and starting again.

Joel