WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!!

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #1  

miramadar

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27
Greetings. I bought my first tractor today and I'm pretty excited about it. I bought a 2009 Kioti CK27 w/ FEL and AG tires. I live on a farm in eastern Kentucky that me and my brother inherited from our grandparents (the hardest-working people I've ever known...my avatar is an old pic of my grandma atop one of my papaw's old trucks back in the late 1950's on the farm we now own). My grandma is still alive (she's 97). My papaw died in 2001. Long before his death he sold his late '70's MF tractor. I think he was afraid that me and my brother would get killed on it. It's pretty hilly around here, but I remember him mowing the whole place on that MF.

In the past, the farm was as pristine as 12 acres in eastern KY could be. They had about 10 head of cattle to keep it looking that way. But with my papaw passed, my grandma up in years, and the tractor sold, my brother and I have watched the old farm really come into a sad shape. With this new tractor I HOPE to get it looking something like what it did back then.

With the Kioti, I plan to do a bit of landscaping and dirt moving. We're building a new house later this year, and I'm sure the tractor will come in handy. I also need to rid the place of hundreds of smallish pine trees that have come up and a whole bunch of blackberry thickets. I'm hoping the tractor will just push most of the smaller trees over, but some of them are 8-10 inches in diameter, so I don't know if it will push them or not. I'll obviously need to purchase a bush hog in the future, but I've got a few goats to dine on the blackberries in the meantime.

So yeah, I'm really stoked about the tractor. I've never owned one and I've scantly driven one in my life. I'm going to take it REAL slow and learn what the machine will do before I get into any really hard tasks. I plan to spend a few weeks just driving it around and doing minor stuff to get the feel for it.

I did a lot of research before buying the tractor. I really didn't realize just how much there is to the tractor industry...so many different brands and specs!! It was mind-boggling for a while. But reading this forum really helped me a lot. I thank whoever's in charge around here for making this available.

Oh yeah, I read a lot about tractor safety online too. For a minute there I was thinking that I don't need to be on a tractor! But I'm old enough to realize what the machine is supposed to do and to have some common sense. So, hopefully I'll be okay. Wish me luck!

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #2  
Congratulations and good luck.
Keep us posted how the new machine is working out.

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #3  
Welcome to the pack.

Must post pictures, both of tractor and progress on the farm.

Great avatar!! Inspiring.

Be safe and most of all have a bunch of fun operating your new machine on the old homestead.

Sincerely,
Joel

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #4  
Welcome - sounds familiar - I also bought a CK27 gear and loader w/ag tires a couple months ago and also have 12 acres - 10 wooded and 2 meadow. Is yours HST or gear shift? Remember to try to make it look like you're working when you're on the tractor. Don't be afraid to leave a bit of the trees and blackberries - the birds will like it.

Loren

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #5  
Welcome, hope you are able to get your farm back in shape, sounds like a beautiful place to live. The Kioti should do well for you.

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #6  
Welcome! Good luck on getting the farm back in shape. Hope everything goes well, keep us updated.

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!!
Welcome - sounds familiar - I also bought a CK27 gear and loader w/ag tires a couple months ago and also have 12 acres - 10 wooded and 2 meadow. Is yours HST or gear shift? Remember to try to make it look like you're working when you're on the tractor. Don't be afraid to leave a bit of the trees and blackberries - the birds will like it.

Loren

Mine is a gear. I wasn't particular regarding gear vs hydro. The dealer had a CK30 hydro for about $800 more. It was an '06 leftover that they were moving for another dealer. But it had turf tires and the dealer wouldn't throw in a set of AG tires in the deal. So I passed. And I've read that hydro machines lose about 2 HP due to the tranny, so I would have had roughly the same power anyway.

Thanks to everyone for the gracious replies. Its raining here today, so I think I'll spend a good deal of time reading this forum and learning how to use a box blade!:D

Loren, how is the CK27 working out for you? Have you had any problems? Have you found things that it just won't do?

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #8  
Congradulations and welcome to the forum! You are going to have a lot of fun cleaning up the farm with your new tractor! The only warning I have for you is this is very contagious can lead to purchasing more and more attachments and farm expansion plans. It is just to fun to stop at one!!!:D

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #9  
Welcome to the pack.

Must post pictures, both of tractor and progress on the farm.

*Great avatar!! Inspiring.

Be safe and most of all have a bunch of fun operating your new machine on the old homestead.

Sincerely,
Joel
*A truck like that would go nice with my 50 Chevy car.

/ WOO-HOO, I've Bought My First Tractor!!!! #10  
Welcome to the pack.

*Must post pictures, both of tractor and progress on the farm.

Great *avatar!! Inspiring.

Sincerely,
Joel
*I'd like to see bigger and better pictures of the truck in the avatar!!