Mid Mount Mower

/ Mid Mount Mower #1  

demoman357

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335, Case 480C
I am about to purchase a DK35SE HST and very much desire a mid mout mower. From what i gather off the net, is that Kioti does not offer a mid mount mower through it's dealerships. Kioti does show such attachments in their printed sales materials. Can anyone show me the path to obtaining such a mower? Thank you in advance.

/ Mid Mount Mower #2  
I am about to purchase a DK35SE HST and very much desire a mid mout mower. From what i gather off the net, is that Kioti does not offer a mid mount mower through it's dealerships. Kioti does show such attachments in their printed sales materials. Can anyone show me the path to obtaining such a mower? Thank you in advance.

When I look several years ago, I was not impressed by thier mid mount mower, any dealer I talked to recommend the Rear mount.

KC

/ Mid Mount Mower #3  
Why would you want a mid mount mower on a DK35se? MMMs are for overgrown lawn mowers not tractors. I suggest you look carefully at other options (RFM, flail). If you really are focused on a MMM, look at the Kubota BX series or the equivalent JDs. Those are excellent lawn machines with moderate tractor capabilities. The DK is really not optomized in anyway as a lawn mower and it is hard to imagine turning it into one at 4000lbs plus.

/ Mid Mount Mower #5  
I suggest you visit Bobcat. The Bobcat tractors are Kioti's in white, but they are offering MMM. I wonder if a Bobcat MMM would fit a Kioti? Anyone know?

/ Mid Mount Mower #6  
The DK is really not optomized in anyway as a lawn mower and it is hard to imagine turning it into one at 4000lbs plus.
Its not hard for me to imagine mowing with a DK.
I've been mowing my 7+ acre lawn for years with a DK 35 and a 7' RFM. It does a great job as a lawn mower.
A friend/co worker of mine also mows his lawn with a DK 35se HST with a 7' RFM. Says it does a fine job.

Last edited:
   / Mid Mount Mower #7  
Its not hard for me to imagine mowing with a DK.
I've been mowing my 7+ acre lawn for years with a DK 35 and a 7' RFM. It does a great job as a lawn mower.
A friend/co worker of mine also mows his lawn with a DK 35se HST with a 7' RFM. Says it does a fine job.

I exaggerated (slightly) but my main point remains that a DK35se is really not the sort of tractor you would want to fit out with a MMM. A MMM is a very reasonable choice for a tractor that will be primarily a lawn mower. As noted the BX series and B series from Kubota are kings of that hill and offer the appropriate MMMs. The biggest tractor I would personally consider putting a MMM on would be a B3030 which when configured as the cab version would be a truly spectacular lawn mower.

The Kioti's are basically too heavy to be ideal lawn mowers. They are certainly fine tractors and arguably more versatile in all non lawn mowing operations that their Kubota HP equivalents due to their weight and larger loader capacities but as a machine primarily used for lawn mowing I don't see that they have any advantages (except price) compared to the other orange tractor.

I do mow with my DK40se which does a fine job with a 6ft flail but I do more field mowing/bush hogging which I am distinguishing from "lawn" mowing.

/ Mid Mount Mower
Thank you everyone for your generous replies. It is apparent to me that application plays an inportant part in choice. I have 25 acres, 10 of which are currently a 3-hole golf course. Any tractor I purchase would primarily be a lawn mower with an 84-inch finish mower (rear or mid-mount). It currently takes me 14 hours per week using a 42-inch riding lawn mower and I wish to cut that time by half. I also wish to till a 1-acre vegetable garden, move dirt, sand, and compost with the loader, and use a 48-inch brush hog to get rid of blackberries and reclaim more acreage. Any suggestions on hp? I would order with turf tires because industrial tires chew up the turf (previous experience) but I am worried about traction for operations other than mowing. Any suggestions, comments?

/ Mid Mount Mower
In my original post I requested information about mid-mount mower decks. I am not sold on a MMM. I just thought it would be easier to use near trees and sand traps, thus reducing the amount of time spent with the small mower to finish the tight spots.

/ Mid Mount Mower #10  
Except for the greens, I would thing you could get away with just one mower, a flail, that would handle lawn, blackberries and field. The only question is whether you would want a finish flail (limited blackberries would be no problem at all but 1 inch brush would be) or what I call an all purpose flail which could handle the 1-2 inch brush and field easily and can definitely do lawns (but some folks like their lawns finer cut than others). The all purpose flail is much closer to a finish mower than to a bush hog for lawn cutting. It would be nice if you could demo one or just see a lawn cut with such a flail.

I don't know of any low cost flails in the 84 inch size. Caroni makes a 75 inch model TM1900 which is a great value at under 2k delivered.

A decent RFM in 84 inch size is going to cost something close to $2500. Add a light duty bush hog for another $1000 and you can see the potential savings with a single flail so long as the cut is satisfactory for you.

Tractor HP? I'd choose something at least 35hp and more likely 40 if you want a 84 inch flail or RFM. If your work is really mostly mowing then chosing one of the lighter tractors (Kubota or JD) would make sense. Mahindra, Kioti and a few others are better values but are generally heavier which is of no benefit for mowing.