Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #1  

Arky217

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4200
According to Kioti's website, the DK50SE weighs 128# less than the DK40SE; seems like it would be the other way around.
Anyone know why that would be ?

Thanks,
Arky

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #2  
Actually they should weigh exactly the same. They share the same frame, tires, loader, 3PT, transmission and engine block as I recall just that one engine is bored out to 2 liters and the other is about 2.4 liters or something like that.

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #3  
I guess that means the 'bigger' tractor should weigh less since more metal has been removed from the engine block. I wouldn't think it would account for 128# though.

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #4  
I guess that means the 'bigger' tractor should weigh less since more metal has been removed from the engine block. I wouldn't think it would account for 128# though.

Duhh,
Bigger holes, bigger pistons to fill 'em.

My guess is it is the sum of different bills of materials, different group/department/project management entering slightly different stuff into the spread sheets.

"Orders of magnitude", accuracy, precision, etc.
Whats the fuss over 3% or so ?

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #5  

The real question is how Kioti (and other manufacturers presumably) manage to charge so much extra for the 45 and 50 considering that the differences between those models and the 40 are truly limited to decals and 200cc or 400cc in displacement from the same block. I guess those 45 decals cost about $1500 and I cannot imagine what the 50 decals cost but they must be made of unobtainium. :D

DK40se....best value out there.:cool:

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #6  
Duhh,
Bigger holes, bigger pistons to fill 'em.

My guess is it is the sum of different bills of materials, different group/department/project management entering slightly different stuff into the spread sheets.

"Orders of magnitude", accuracy, precision, etc.

Duhh,
Technically, a piston wouldn't completely make up for the same weight of cylinder material removed or it would be considered a plug. I didn't think that would really be the difference in weight anyway.

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #7  
According to Kioti's website, the DK50SE weighs 128# less than the DK40SE; seems like it would be the other way around.
Anyone know why that would be ?

The CK35 weighs less than the CK30, too. If you can believe those
published weights......

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #8  
The real question is how Kioti (and other manufacturers presumably) manage to charge so much extra for the 45 and 50 considering that the differences between those models and the 40 are truly limited to decals and 200cc or 400cc in displacement from the same block. I guess those 45 decals cost about $1500 and I cannot imagine what the 50 decals cost but they must be made of unobtainium. :D

DK40se....best value out there.:cool:

That is no mystery; What the market will bear, etc.

There is an "opportunity", they take it.
(some) People will pay a great deal of money for another few horse power in what is essentially the same tractor without a CLUE that they would be very unlikely to use more than 50% of the power available in the lower priced model.

If it is bigger than the neighbor's driveway ornament I'll take it, etc.

Anyway, 3% is "in the noise".

/ Weight - DK40SE vs DK50SE #9  
Duhh,
Technically, a piston wouldn't completely make up for the same weight of cylinder material removed or it would be considered a plug. I didn't think that would really be the difference in weight anyway.

Yes, some small number of millimeters of additional steel machined from the cylinder walls would outweigh the additional mass of larger aluminum pistons and longer steel piston rings, but all of that is way down in the noise - way farther down than the 3% difference in total weight.

You thought it wouldn't be the difference in weight, but thought it worth posting as ?
Hmm, huhh
Oh well.