Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST?

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #81  
I also know two different guys with row crop tractors considerably more powerful than my Kubota (39.5 PTO HP) with FEL on them that have broken something trying to do less demanding FEL work than I can routinely accomplish faster and easier with my HST. The row crop 2wd tractor is not designed for the heavy load on the front hubs/axles. Different designs are needed to support different tasks. This is also true with respect to power transmission styles like HST vs all gears.

So I guess I better go trade in my 95 horse "Row Crop" tractor for a lil Bota with a HST. :rolleyes:

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #82  
I wonder if, 20 years from now when I read TBN, a thread will pop up HST vs Gear and not solicit exactly the same responses. :D

I guess the answer is "of course it will"

Both are good, both have advantages, both are preferred by certain people.

There is no clear answer to this. There does not have to be either.

Let's start a pool on how high the post count will get. I'll bet $5.00 on 110 to 120 before it gets locked. Anybody else? ;)

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #83  
Let's start a pool on how high the post count will get. I'll bet $5.00 on 110 to 120 before it gets locked. Anybody else? ;)

I'm betting the pissing contest gets out of control before post 100. I'll be on the sideline with my umbrella.:eek:

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #84  
Jimmy,
'Both are good, both have advantages, both are preferred by certain people.

There is no clear answer to this. There does not have to be either.
"

Very well said, i think thats the crust of it.Different strokes for different folks.What should be taken form this thread is how its good for either type and persons.
So that someone buying can make an informed decision as to what they might need and want.
I prefere the geared, it works well for my life. But it might not be what is right for someone else.

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #85  
So I guess I better go trade in my 95 horse "Row Crop" tractor for a lil Bota with a HST. :rolleyes:

Unless your row crop tractor is being used outside the envelope of its capability, e.g. HD FEL work with light duty front running gear, then it is likely as well suited for your needs as could be expected, the implication being you knew what you needed when you got it.

My friends both got what they got because of price as much as attributes that fit their needs. No big surprise when their loaders severely overloaded their front ends causing catastrophic failures. They should have known better as they were both raised on farms, and are still farming well into their 60's.

The take home message was not to get a 'bota like me but to fit the tool to the job. There is a place for a hammer, chisel, hand saw, brace and bit, etc. but there are also activities better fitted to power tools and then some other situations where cordless are better than corded power tools.

There was a terrific display of observational powers on the part of the poster who opined that most of the talk on the board is about nearly everything a tractor can do EXCEPT conventional working of the land with plows, disk and drag harrows, and so forth. This is not surprising given that the overwhelming majority of posters have a CUT, remembering that the U is for UNIVERSAL, a Swiss Army Tractor if you will or a TRANSFORMER Tractor intended to be used for many different tasks not necessarily directly related to conventional agricultural applications.

I find the versatility of my tractor to be amazing. Just yesterday my wife was commenting on how our tractor was so useful and how it would have been difficult or impossible to have done the things we do without it. I freely admit that it is not the best tractor for many of the tasks I use it for but it is GOOD ENOUGH for virtually all of them. To get a better fit for many of my uses I would have to have a stable of tractors which is not practical for me but might be a reasonable solution for others.

Pat