Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST?

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #1  

back2earth

Tractor
Kioti CK30
I've read of the advantages of HST over gear tractors on this forum but have not read much on the advantages of gear over HST. Two that come to mind are price and slightly more PTO HP. In the car world, I tend to gravitate towards manual over automatic tranny. I'm wondering if I'll be happier with a gear tranny in the tractor world. Anyone who prefers gear over HST care to comment? I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who have a CK series tractor.

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #2  
A gear tractor has a fixed speed at RPM and a HST has infinite speeds. This allows a better regulation of sprays or spreading of fertilizer over a given area. The gear trans tractor would be better in ground engagemant work like plowing(more power to the wheels). Those are a few that I can think of but I am sure that there are more. Note that I have a HST tractor because it works best for my type of work (FEL work Brush cutting and working on hills).

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #3  
In the Deere lineup I chose to go with their shuttle shift (PowerReverser) transmission as I do alot of ground engaging work but if I were mowing alot more, etc I would look at hydro...

John

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #4  
Gear drives are less NOISY!!!!! LOL

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #5  
On a gear drive you soon learn what gear will give you the speed you want so you can select it instantly and maintain or re-select that speed all day.

They're bulletproof!

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #6  
On some setups, split brakes are completely useless with HST. There is also a little more to maintain - an extra filter and sometimes special fluids. I have both. Unless you are plowing, spraying, or other crop work, HST is the way to go.

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #7  
I Agree, personally I like a gear either in a vehicle or the tractor. I had one experience with a Hydro and that was more than enough for me.It had three ranges so I would have to set it in high range for the road and it would bog down and would have to stop to shift to the mid range. where as the gear tranny I could just downshift.Even double clutch it down.
The hydro would also seem to slip before spin the tires so I grew to hate that.
It would idel and then slip into forward or reverse andthe dealer after several attempts couldnt fix that adjustment.
After a year I traded it in and never looked back.
Oh, Also I can hear my neighbors bota hydro running high rps just to move.The surely burn more fuel ..
Im glad some have them and like them(hydros). but for me as long as I have a left leg ill stay with the manual.

Also as with a car or truck I can easily repair them.Pretty much any gear transmission will last a lifetime if treated right.
A clutch is fairly simple.

Just my opinion as requested.

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #8  
I'd have to agree with Bedlam;I chose a gear/shuttle over a HST for a couple reasons. 1. You can operate a gear at any rpm you desire, so long as its sufficient for the task/ A HST should be operated at about PTO rpm to properly supply the HST its fluid at proper pressure(high fuel usage and {unnecessary noise}) 2. As stated, the manual transmission should last a life-time and the clutch can be changed by owner(a PITA, no doubt) 3. Higher PTO HP output relative to engine HP 4. And I guess I just like them better ;)

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #9  
I have a gear ck30,didn't buy an hst because its just something else to break and very expensive to fix.
HST and lawnmowers are a pretty good thing but hst and tractors,not a good idea.

You can use a tiller no problems with a ck30 gear,can go in reverse probably,just as fast when I need to mowing,with gear.

Don't think I've read on here near as many problems with gear as there has been with hst.

More expensive to buy and operate. Sucks power from tractor.

/ Advantages of a gear/synchro over HST? #10  
I'd have to agree with Bedlam;I chose a gear/shuttle over a HST for a couple reasons. 1. You can operate a gear at any rpm you desire, so long as its sufficient for the task/ A HST should be operated at about PTO rpm to properly supply the HST its fluid at proper pressure(high fuel usage and {unnecessary noise}) 2. As stated, the manual transmission should last a life-time and the clutch can be changed by owner(a PITA, no doubt) 3. Higher PTO HP output relative to engine HP 4. And I guess I just like them better ;)

1) No reason to run at PTO speed all the time just because you have HST. Almost no one does that. There is a benefit to running at higher RPM when traveling but for routine work you just adjust the RPM for the load just as you would with gear.
2) Hydro's have been pretty darn reliable. You won't read about many replacements or repairs here on TBN. While a HST transmission replacement/rebuild is expensive, so is spliting a tractor to replace a clutch.
3) Yep, that is the main benefit of gear. No dispute.
4) Each to his own.:)